Saturday, January 26, 2013

Transformation : Face

Happy Australia Day everyone.  I hope that you've had a wonderful day and enjoyed the company of friends and family.  

I took my little training buddy for 3km walk up and down hills this morning.  We didn't set any records what with having to stop and pee at just about every lamp post (the dog, not me!!).  But what I did want to try out was the app I now have on my phone Runkeeper.   It worked a charm.  I love that every five minutes a voice tells you how long you've been walking or running, the distance you've travelled and what your pace is.    Plus you have the whole GPS map thing happening which was so accurate it even showed me on the map having walked at one stage from the middle of the road (which folk tend to do where I live, being that there are no paths) to the verge, when a car did come by. 

How this came to be, me even knowing about Runkeeper, was with my new found interest of running, one of the ladies at my work suggested I join their running group.  As in they have a facebook group that checks in with each other in an effort for each to run or walk 1000 kilometres in a year.   They are very encouraging as well, even to newbies like me running piddling amounts compared to their marathon type runs.  

Thinking 1000 kilometres may be impossible, but you know, when you break it down, it's only about 2.75 kilometres a day.  That's actually doable.    I've come in half way through January so I'm already behind the 8 ball.   But with Runkeeper you can track your runs.  You don't even have to have it on at the time, you can manually update afterwards.  So it's keeping a running total for me.

I'm very lucky with the support I get throughout this journey I am on.  I may talk about that in a future post.

So anyway ... TRANSFORMATION : FACE.   We were down at Australia Day festivities today while Mike played in the pipe band.  On the way back to the car I had him take a photograph of me, so I could compare it with one he took last year when we went to the muster.  



It's quite confronting looking at both photos side by side and I don't mind admitting I've shed a little tear tonight looking at them.  I hadn't even yet started 12wbt at that stage, I started in Round 2 of 2012 in May.   And even that makes me sad that I waited around (wasted) another 3 months of my life in that unhappy state.  So that's a lesson to be learnt in itself, and one that I will never repeat.  No more waiting around till tomorrow for something I want to happen today.  :-)

2 comments:

Ingi said...

Oh wow! Confronting, yes, but you should be very proud of yourself :-)

Jules said...

WOW!!! what an amazing comparison! And you're now smiling with your eyes as well!!!!
Love it! x