Saturday, January 19, 2013

Changes

I want to talk about changes in this post.  Some small perhaps insignificant changes, some big mind-blowing ones.  It's been taking my mind some time to decipher a lot of them, so I thought if I process out loud, so to speak, on the blog, it might help me make sense of them.



The main change I noticed this week...
You might be forgiven for thinking I'm doing a rendition of "Stop in the name of love" a la Diana Ross in this photograph, but do you notice anything strange?   I'm now wearing my wedding/engagement rings on my middle finger.  They've gotten so loose now that I'm afraid with one sweeping gesture of my hand they'll go flying off.  In any case they've been twisting and rolling around my ring finger quite uncomfortably and it's been driving me nuts, so I've resorted to wearing them on my middle finger.  This is a huge change for me, if you've been reading along on the blog I mentioned some time ago when I was at my heaviest how I used to have to hold my hand up in the air for about five minutes of a night to let the blood drain from my finger to be able to get my rings off.

The big snore...
Apparently (and I use the term APPARENTLY) I used to snore with the resonance that would shake walls.  Mike stopped short of saying it was my weight that was making me snore, good husband that he is, but I remember a time many months ago that I woke in the middle of the night and he wasn't in bed with me.  I walked down to the lounge room and saw him asleep on the couch.  He sheepishly told me the next morning he slept down there on the other side of the house because I was snoring.  When I quizzed him why he didn't sleep in a perfectly good bed in the spare room, he told me I was snoring so loudly it was reverberating through the walls.  And yet probably only 2 months into my first round of 12wbt, my snoring miraculously disappeared overnight.  Weightloss?  Coincidence?  Miracle?  You be the judge.

Who's that girl...
I caught sight of myself in the reflection of a window the other day and I honestly did not recognise myself.  As I was walking I had to keep checking myself out, oh how vain.  Of course I see myself in the mirror when I'm getting ready for work, or at the gym on the equipment.  But it was just that quick glimpse in the reflection of a shop window, that quick on the go glimpse, that had me realising just what I looked like now.  I think I walked six foot tall for the rest of the day.

I'm not invisible any more...
Now either the traffic is getting way more considerate or I've all of a sudden taken off my cloak of invisibility, because when I'm walking down the street I'm finding drivers are actually waving me to walk across the road when I'm waiting to walk across at a roundabout.  That would never happen pre-12wbt.  I could stand on a street in the pouring rain and no one would stop to let me across.   And I won't take the full credit, in case I've been caught up in a huge TAC campaign for courteous drivers, but it's happened on so many occasions now I have to think perhaps people are really seeing me.

Yum...
My taste buds have changed.  I'm loving mixing flavours and herbs and spices and I'm enjoying eating things I wouldn't previously have touched.   And I'm sitting down and really tasting my food.  No more sitting on the couch in front of the telly, well mostly not anyway.  We set a place at the dinner table and actually look at each other when we're eating, it's been nice.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T...
I surprised myself the other day.  Something occurred in our office from a "visitor" that was very disrespectful to the three of us working there.   And I stood up for myself and made myself heard.   Surprised the heck out of me and the others in the office, I wondered where the confidence came from.  But I had my say and even though it probably didn't change things, I was glad that I was heard.  I was shaking by the end of it when I spoke up, but I'm not a doormat any more.

Relationships...
I can honestly say that my relationship with my husband has never been better.  Okay peeps, look away now if this is too much information, but freaking heck, he can't keep his hands off me.  I am now smaller in size than my husband has ever known me.  It's like we're discovering ourselves all over again.  Corny, but is it possible we are we falling in love again?  I don't know if these old bones can take it!  :-)

The outdoors...
I used to be a homebody couch sloth.  There, I've said it.  But okay, I still am a homebody, I love nothing more than to potter around home.  But I'm also loving the great outdoors.  I love getting out and about in the fresh air, feeling invigorated.  And to acknowledge it's so great to be active, healthy and alive!

Appearance...
I've noted that as I'm losing weight I'm taking way more care with myself, including a good skin care routine (whereas before it would be a scrub of the face and a slap of moisturiser), selecting the clothes I'm wearing to work rather just popping on whatever was closest that would fit me, enjoying my new shape with clothes. And having said that a huge shout out to a workmate Sharon, who is also doing 12wbt.  I am now apparently at the weight where she started her journey and she gave me a huge bag of clothes to go through and keep whatever I may need.  Although I have bought a few bits and pieces over the three rounds, I've not spent much at all (read: I've bought el cheapo getting by clothes), I now have some great quality well fitting clothes.  It's such a psychological boost to be wearing something that fits, rather than saggy baggy.  So thank you Sharon.

Encouragement...
I got a phone call from my bestie late the other night, and I know she'll be reading this.  I no sooner picked up the phone and I heard "I really hate you, but you know I love you, but I really REALLY hate you right now, even though I love you."  What the heck was Sonia on?  Then she told me she'd read my blog and my plan of fun runs and it motivated her enough to get on the treadmill there and then and run 2 kilometres.   Now bear in mind my bestie lives in Tasmania, so I don't get to see her very often at all (apart from Facetime, got to love Facetime!!!) but the encouragement she has been giving me, whilst she is on her own weight loss/fitness journey,  is nothing short of phenomenal.   So thank you Sonia.  Actually that wasn't a change, Sonia has always been encouraging, but I just wanted to put it out there.

So I guess the purpose to this post was to recognise the changes that are happening, embrace them, learn from them, love them and keep moving forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So much to love about this! Had to laugh at the 'checking yourself out in shop windows' part. I *may or may not* have also been guilty of that one lol. :)

-RubySneakers