Friday, January 11, 2013

Groove to the Music


Ha!  Nothing could be further from the truth for me.  I am just a wee bit un-co.

It amazed me last week at the Surf T Surf just how many people run wearing headphones.  When I queried our 12wbt ladies that were running with headphones I got an astounding yes! that running to music really helps.    Hmmmm.

Now I do have an ipod but more often than not I'm listening to a talking book or crafty podcast when driving in my car, but I do have a few odd pieces of music on my ipod, so tonight at the gym I decided to give it a go.

Usually I get to the gym, hop up on the treadmill and pound it out watching the efforts of Ridge and Brooke and the Forrester clan, yes I know, pathetic huh?  But tonight after work they didn't get a look in.  I popped in the earphones, found my music and off I went.  Well I kept running but needed to switch to the next piece, hmmm too slow, okay try the next one, nope that's not suitable either.  I realised tonight that I have a taste in slow music, not at all foot-tapping-run-inducing music.

Then all of a sudden a piece came on ... and I really can't believe I am going to admit this here, but Glen Miller and his Swing Band.  Yeah yeah, shoot me will ya, I have him on my ipod.  And all of a sudden I ran to the beat, and it was great.  Every down beat my left foot hit the treadmill and it was so rhythmic, I loved it.    And it worked.

Until the next piece came on and then I realised it's really REALLY hard to run to a syncopated swing piece, all of a sudden I found myself almost skipping and tripping trying to find the down beat and my run was all off.  I dread to think that I must have looked like, as if I was having a fit trying to find the beat.  Oh well, if they check out the CTV I'll give them a laugh at their staff Christmas party!

Soooooo, mission this weekend, find some good running music and make a mix up on my ipod.  Any suggestions?

All was not lost, I did another PB at the gym, ran 4 kilometres non stop in 35 minutes.  Okay so I'm not cracking any land speed records, but it was non-stop!!!!!  I even had to reset the treadmill when it went into auto cool down at the 30 minute mark, and pump it back up again.  I was a lather of sweat, even my shoulders and arms were drenched.  But boy!  I felt alive.

Just quietly - I think I've turned a corner.

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to doing a Stand Your Ground workshop with Emazon.  Remember the scary lady from The Biggest Loser?  The one in the caged boxing ring?  Well I'm going to her session tomorrow to assist me in transforming my life for health, weight loss, self image, confidence, self authority and to resolve destructive behaviour.  Sounds pretty full on.  Can't wait.

Check it out here to learn more:



Love that it is about mind, body, spirit - that's what I'm on about with this journey.   :-)

2 comments:

Pink Penny said...

Looking forward to a blog post on what Stand Your Ground was like.

Sorry I've got no music ideas cause I listen to classical... although Schubert's "Der Erlkönig" has a serious beat, but it might be a bit... fast ...

Ingi said...

Coming in late here (just found your blog and loving it!), but check out my blog (lots of daggy stuff in there) and also Ministry of Sound do good running tracks albums on iTunes. There were also some good running tunes threads on the 12WBT forums. I can't run without music (who wants to listen to yourself huffing and puffing??)