I've always been a bit of a wing and a prayer girl, and apart from just hoping I get through yet another year, I've sadly not been much of a goal setter. Just aimlessly wandering through life and taking things as they come. Then where does it get you? Twenty years down the track and 40 kg heavier and wondering how on earth that happened.
And now all that has changed ... thanks Mish! I'm quite enjoying putting things on my list and ticking them off once achieved. Thinking grand and then working out how to get there. Building my training up like little building blocks until I think WOAH, did I just run all those kms, or did I just lift that weight, or hey was that just me looking back from the window reflection! tee hee.
So after that wonderful feeling that I would just love to bottle from the Surf T Surf fun run, who ever thought a feeling of exhaustion could feel so good!!?? I have started thinking further afield. Armed with Google, advice from friends, and general chit chat, I have set up some running goals that I want to be able to work towards, with an ultimate goal just over 12 months from now.
* Sunday 17th February 2013
Market to Mount Fun Run (5km)
A run from the Derrinallum Recreation Reserve, through town, to the top of Mount Elephant. Yep, well there's a grand plan finishing with a grueling run up a volcano nearing the end of the 5k.
* Friday 22nd February 2013
Noorat to Terang (5km)
In my early plans this was going to be my first fun run, well I got ahead of myself a couple of weeks ago and so glad I did. I'll be a bit more seasoned in this one. From all indications, this one is a bit low key, you register on the evening and I quite fancy thinking I will be running from one town to another town.
* Sunday 26th May 2013
Run the Gap (6km)
Looking at the photograph on the first page of this website, this is quite a different run, seeing the girls wearing gloves, jacket and beanie. Yep, I imagine it will be cold in Halls Gap in May. I have always loved Halls Gap, actually Mike and I have quite often mentioned we would move there in a heart beat. So I love the idea of doing a fun run in this very special place.
* August 2013
Goal : Be able to run 7km non-stop.
* Sunday 17th November 2013
Run Geelong (6km)
I would love to do a fun run in my old home town. And if truth be known, it's more so that my mum and possibly my in-laws might be standing at the finish line and see me finish. Yep, 48 years old and still want mum to be proud.
* December 2013
Goal: Be able to run 10km non-stop
* Sunday 5th January 2014
Surf T Surf (10km)
Yes I plan to try the iconic Warrnambool fun run once again. But this time attempt the 10km. Possible? Who knows. It would be a great test with my next big grand plan just round the corner.
* February 2014
Goal: Be able to run 12.5 km non-stop
* March 2014
Run for the Kids (15km)
I was talking to my friend Sharon at work today and she runs this race and said it's such a fantastic feeling, you get to run in places that are usually off-limits to foot traffic, and it's quite emotional running for such a good cause. I instantly knew as we were talking that this was it, this was my 12 month (or a wee bit over) grand plan.
WOAH! I look like I'm turning into an all or nothing kind of girl. But there's the plan. Pie in the sky stuff? Who knows. As long as these 48 year old legs hold out or my "hinges" don't ache, that's the grand plan. I showed Mike before and he looked at it goggle eyed. Not in awe at my running hopes, wants and dreams. But the thought of all that waiting around for me to finish! Gotta love the support crew.
3 comments:
Good stuff Carol, and I would bet money on it you will be able to run 15km non stop a lot quicker than you think. The body will do a lot more than the mind allows it, we just need to push a little more.
Keep up the training and perhaps look at Michelle's 10K training program. Great work and awesome goals and you can and will do it.
I see the running bug has bitten you too! Great isn't it? Well done, Carol - some really exciting goals here. :)
Oh Hell Carol... Geelong? That's my old town too... freaky!
Post a Comment