Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mish the relationship counsellor

12wbt is a program like no other.  It works on the food, it works on the health, it works on the fitness, it works on the body, it works on the mind.  Such an all round program.  But I wonder if Mish realises how far reaching the program is, it is working on family relationships too.

It's no secret to my close friends the at times tumultuous relationship I have had with my mother in recent years.  Don't get me wrong, I love her, but there were a lot of things said and done a number of years ago and things have never quite been the same with us since.

I didn't realise way back then that dad was the glue that held our family together until one day he was not with us. I guess added to the emotional turmoil was not just that dad had passed away, but that he passed away on Christmas Day.  So every year when Christmas came around, emotions were heightened anyway, and every year then when mum pushed us, or more particularly me, away, it hurt.  You hurt the ones you love?  Isn't that what they say.

A wise friend once said to me ... yes you Kylie and I hold these words very close to me ... that I can't change my mum's behaviour, I can only change my reaction to it.  I can't tell you how many times I've said that over and over to myself over the years, in fact I believe I still have that phone text on my phone to remind me.

I won't go into the whole sorry year that we were at odds, but over the last few years we have both been trying.  I wonder sometimes if we will ever get back to the way we were.  We used to talk on the phone every day, sometimes a couple of times a day.  But now it may be the duty call once a week, even sometimes more than a week goes past.   We used to see each other often, despite that I lived 2 hours away.  Now I see her when there is a reason, and there have been times I've popped down there, did what I needed to do in Geelong and then came home without even telling her I've been in town.  You kind of get my drift.

So today in the mail I was surprised to receive a card from my mum.   I was wondering what the occasion was until I opened it and read the words, which I want to share with you here.



In case you can't read it, it says:  

"Dear Carol.  
You should be so proud of yourself to where you have reached.  
I am very proud of what you have achieved 
and you have made some wonderful life long friends on your journey.  
Keep up the good work.  
Lots of love, Mum xxxx"


Now I know there's been a bit of work in both our camps, mum and I over the years, but this, this unexpected card full of love and pride, just wow.

1 comment:

Ingi said...

Oh man - you made me cry! How lovely of your mum to do that :-)