Wednesday, January 29, 2014

He did it !! He really really did it !!

I am so freaking proud of my husband right now.  Mike is not active, not by a long shot.   He has a rather sedentary job, his own business working with power tools, sure he is on his feet most of the day, but he's not really moving any great distances.  More often than not you will find him like this ...


or like this ...


or even this ...


But since giving up smoking six months ago he is starting to feel so good, he hasn't had to use his asthma puffer doo-dad for ages (yes yes, I know, he would smoke then puff on the asthma doo-dad, not good).  So he's feeling really good and dare I say even a little bit quietly, I might have even inspired him.  

So when Aldi had a sale recently of running gear, he got me to get him some running clothes.  They had sold out of the shorts but I got a nice sweat wicking t-shirt, plus I've ordered another shirt and shorts on Ozsale (yes, me and my online shopping) just waiting for them to arrive.  Now... being the Scot that he is, he just wanted to buy some runners from Rivers.  Urrrgh.  I warned him that they would hurt, he'd get shin splints, he'd hate it, but he just wanted to see if he would like it.

So tonight, he went out and did his first 1km run EVER, well let's not say ever, let's say his first 1km of a dedicated exercise movement since he was a little boy.  One freaking kilometre, run/walk/run, I couldn't be more proud.  Oh and he now has signed up to Runkeeper so he even tracked himself, did it in 9 mins 51 seconds and I cheered him home.  Mind you he did it in the ever growing darkness so he could do it by stealth and no one could see him.  But ha!  His ankles hurt ... love it when I can get the last word in about the runners he bought.  So looks like a visit to the nearest Athletes Foot is in our future.  

Go Mike!  You totally rock.  


I'm thinking that someone might be going to bed with satisfaction tonight, knowing he has taken a great first step (well second if you count the stopping smoking thing) on the way to good health and a longer life.

2 comments:

Matilda said...

Nice work. He'll be running along side you in no time.
Get gear from Tribesport, fantastic stuff and reasonably priced too.

Annie192 said...

So pleased Carol. Mick seems to be making himself a little busier too, but his changes are more in his diet (which was atrocious, just like mine!) which is great. He has a gym membership which is more in the way of a contribution to the franchisee for their new pool. Small steps.