Wednesday, August 14, 2013

And we're off ...

Week one weigh in for the round and I lost 300 grams.  Not great in the grand scheme of things but I was whooping and jumping about in the bathroom this morning.  Maybe because it was FREAKING FREEZING on the bathroom tiles!!!  But mostly because it was a loss.  I'll take a loss, any loss, I haven't lost for many a week.  I'm on the move again.

And the week one 12 minute tempo run and I beat my distance by 20 metres.

For those not doing the running program, each Wednesday as well as measuring up we run a 12 minute tempo run (80-85% heart rate max).  As the program mentions it is designed to measure our cardiovascular fitness and is based on the Cooper test, designed for US military use.

I like the idea that each week I am trying to run a further distance in the 12 minutes, so I'll record my 12 min distances here:

Start distance:   1770 metres (1.77 km)
Week 1:   1790 metres (1.79 km)

Although I will say I did all my stretching exercises under the shelter of trees as it was starting to rain.  Then I thought well it's now or never, despite the rain I got myself ready and went for it.  And then the wind came.  OMG it was howling!  I ran as close as I could to the hedge wall along Pertobe Road thinking it might break a bit of the wind, but no such luck, it would die down and then the head wind would start again.  I ran a km to the roundabout and then turned round and ran back as far as 12 minutes would take me, so then I had a tail wind.

So probably not the best way to clock my distance.  I have chosen a good flat path to run on, but I didn't account for the elements that were going to strike me tonight.  The joys of a Victorian winter!

Of course the Instagram junkie had to document the end of the run.  Good gracious the hair!!!  And wrinkles.  But a bit of joy on my face there, so all is good.  I must have had fun.  Or maybe my face was frozen and numb from the cold, who knows!!



Hope your weigh in was a good one.  Lets finish this week in style.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey 300g of fat is like the size of your fist or something like that!! I would say that's pretty good! It's great you're seeing movement on the scales again! :D and I'm loving seeing your smiling face!

Unknown said...

I can’t believe how much you have got the running bug. It is awesome to see and well done on attacking the 10K program with gusto. You do know you will be doing the Geelong half marathon with me next year don’t you? It is in April, so plenty of time to train sausage legs……

Pink Penny said...

I'll try not to make you too jealous and wont' mention the Qld weather... I do remember those cold, cold mornings though as a kid in Geelong...

Sheridan said...

300g = awesome!!! And improving your running distance already = super!! And your use of Instagram is always fun, from someone who has the ap but no idea how to use it!!

Indigo Kate said...

You're all set for a fabulous Round. LOVE your photo, running agree with you x

Indigo Kate said...

Sorry, should say, running agrees with you x