Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday turned into Fogday

I decided not to do my usual run on Saturday.  I was really tired so thought I'd be kind to myself and just wake up when my body wanted to wake up.  It was sensational.  

I should have though, run that is.  Because this morning it was soooo foggy and utterly icy out there.  But out I went, I had to seeings I hadn't run yesterday, and it brought tears to my eyes.  There were a few ladies in front of the church and they said good morning as I ran by, eyes streaming with tears.  I think they wanted to bundle me up and take me into the church to see what was wrong with me!  

But it was all good.  I ended up doing 10.5km which I was really happy about.  Funny how it seemed to take forever and it was a pipe dream to even think I could get to 10km and now I can do it just like that.  Well ... it's not JUST like that, there's a fair bit of huffing and puffing going into it.  But I'm doing it and it's wonderful.

OMG, someone call the police, the Mount has been stolen!!! ha.  You wouldn't believe, but there's a big green luscious Mount looking over through that paddock.  It was shrouded in the fog.  


There was a fair bit of visualisation going on in my run this morning.  Mainly to take my mind off my right thigh which has been paining me.  I was running out of town and through the Avenue of Honour under the big cypress trees and there were crows sitting in the trees and sqwarking like you wouldn't believe.  I was imagining that they were cheering me giving me a standing ovation as I ran past.  

Thank you thank you crows, yes I am doing well aren't I?  ;-)

And then when I hit that laneway on the outskirts of town I was ready for the sausage dog and I gathered my reserves to speed up past that house, and the darn little thing wasn't there.  I sped up anyway, I'm sure I impressed the cows.

I really need to think about some music on my runs I think.  I did try it once but I kept trying to run in time to the music, rather than in time to what I wanted to run at, and I fumbled my way through the run.  That was the first and last time.  Any suggestions for me?  

Oh and a big high five moment for me this afternoon.  I baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies for one of the gentlemen who live across the road, he's been feeling poorly so I thought a batch of cookies might help.  Now the recipe of this said batch of cookies only uses half a tin of condensed milk.  I flexed that willpower muscle good and proper and washed the rest of the tin of condensed milk down the sink.  Go me!  

Now, I better plate these cookies and get them across the road and out of this house quick smart!  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the crows were definitely cheering you on! And if not, I love your take on it anyway haha. Now we just have the plovers to look forward to in weeks to come! They sure do get the heart rate up with all the dodging you have to do.

I know you just got a new phone, but not sure which kind. The Trailmix app (if it's compatible) would be a go-er for running in time to music. I personally only use it on the treadmill (my ear bud thingies keep falling out when on an outdoor run), but it keeps time with your pace (speeds up / slows down the song to match).

Love your running updates - who would've thought we'd be doing 10k (and in your case 10k+)?!!

natasha brown said...

I love having music to run too-at the start I would pick really modern dance ones, but I was exactly the same as you-I would run at their pace not a natural one! So now I tend to listen to my partners selection of tunes-seventies mainly :D a lot of old school Bowie, skyhooks, meatloaf...ones that you can really sing along too (in your mind hehe-voice optional!)
I can't wait until I can run 10k's.... :) you are a legend!

Sheridan said...

Nice will power! I hate it when a recipe doesn't need the whole tin of cond milk - it's soo tempting.
As for music, I read somewhere once that you should run with music that is the same beats per minute as your exercise heart rate (yeah ok, I don't think they do music as fast as mine but hey...). And I think there was a website to give you a guide for music and the bom of songs, and it was possibly something like beatsperminute.com or something. Actually, that was probably pretty unhelpful cos I really can't remember! Sorry.

Unknown said...

Well done chipolatas, great effort and yes sometimes you just need to rest the body.

Now a great album (still call them that don't we) is the Ministry of Sound Running Trax Gold. It has 58 tracks on it and the tempo is such that it keeps you bopping along at a good rate.

Myriddian Shrinks said...

I like walking to audio books, no beat but something to keep your mind engaged rather than the huffing, puffing and pounding of shoes.

Also good motivation to run if you want to know what happens next in the story.

Indigo Kate said...

I love a country run story! Well done getting out there in the fog. I bet the cows were awe-struck, as were the church ladies. As was the fellow across the road with his cookies. It's official Carol, you're awesome.