I had a theory, and thought I'd test it.
I am a habitual weigher. There, I've said it. Mark it on my forehead as a sign of shame. I can weigh in twice a day no probs, first thing of a morning, and when I get home and get out of my work clothes. Why? Well you know, I don't really even know an answer to that, apart from the fact it's become a habit.
At my darkest point, I remember early early one morning the cat woke me up about 4am or so and she needed to go out, so I groggily got out of bed, pad my way down to the back door, let her out, walked back down the passageway almost in a sleep walk, went to the loo (why is it the moment you get up, you have to go to the loo????), returned to the back door to let cat back in, went to head back to bed, detoured again to the bathroom, hopped on the scales, then went back to bed. Errr, by this time it was probably about 4.10am.
Is that the stupidest thing ever. And of course at 6am when I got up for real I would have weighed myself again.
Now I don't "think" that the numbers rule me. I don't break out in a sweat when I see them. I tell myself it's to keep tabs on how my week is going ... but then one might wonder why two or three times a day??? But what I do think is that I get to the weekend, see that I'm going pretty well, then loosen the reigns. A bit of a bigger helping here, an extra snack there, that kind of thing. After all, I am doing so well up until that point. Don't I deserve it?? Hmmmm.
So it got me to wonder if my doing this, my little bit of splurging on the weekend, is why I'm stagnating and my weight isn't really going anywhere, up or down at the moment, this round in particular.
So in an effort to break this habit I set myself a challenge last Wednesday that I would go through the whole week without weighing myself. I issued the challenge to some crazy weighing girls like myself in the Warrnie crew. We were on board. Scales be gone until Wednesday. This was going to test my theory that if I don't "know" that I'm going well, I won't in turn sabotage my efforts.
So I got through the week. It was hard, at times I looked lovingly at them, yes they were still there in full view in the bathroom, I had to build up a tolerance didn't I? I could look but not jump on. By yesterday a whole week had rocked by and I felt sooooo good. Almost like a weight had been lifted off me (pardon the pun). So yesterday morning I hesitantly stood on my old friends.
AND NOTHING! No loss, no gain. I had stayed the same.
My theory blown. A scientist I ain't.
I am however going to try again, go another week without weighing every day, as hard as that is. And I'll report back again next Wednesday.
So tell me ... are you a habitual weigher like me? Or not?

6 comments:
Hehe, oh you gotta love a good pun. I am not a habitual weigher, but I don't see that there's anything REALLY wrong with it unless it is messing with your head. In some ways I think it can be good to realise that your weight fluctuates quite a lot at different times and on different days. But I don't wanna get too bogged down in that, which is why I just do weekly.
Yes I am when I have my head in the game. I find it fantastic so long as you don't get consumed by the numbers.
As for you not losing any at the moment, maybe it is time to mix up the training. I know when I started to slow it was because the body was used to the exercise. You might need to throw in some different sort so of training to use some different muscle groups and also up the intensity. I know you are not trying to run for times, but the odd tempo run or some intervals and hill training will certainly shock the body and spped things up a bit. Will also get the DOMS happening especially if you do a 3-5km tempo run.
Food for thought (pardon the pun).
Yep, I'm a serial weigher. But I find it works for me. When I see the scales go up, I pull my head in & get serious with myself. When I see them going down, I know my hard work is paying off & feel a sense of achievement. I don't think it is a negative thing. Of course, I don't weigh myself during the middle of the night when letting the cat out (hahahaha!!!).
You're a braver woman than I as I've tried not to weigh in & I think I only lasted a day!!!!
Good luck!
I am another habitual weigher. I had to stop myself the other night when I took Xenia out at 4.30am to pee and I veered towards them.
Like Greg when my head is in the game I jump on though scales every morning with hope that I will see another 100g gone.
It doesn't rule my world but holds me accountable for what has or hasn't entered my mouth.
I have to stop myself from weighing every day, because I find it messes with my mind too much. And since I've made it a rule to only weigh on Wednesdays I'm much more relaxed about the whole weight loss thing... Although I have to admit I do break my rule sometimes :-)
I LOVE the cartoon too!!
In full weight-loss mode - multiple times a day. You are not alone. In "la la la I'm not thinking about my weight mode" maybe once a month. It's not pretty...
Post a Comment