Thursday, June 20, 2013

There may have been a mild panic in my town last night

I did my usual evening run last night, got home from work near on dusk, threw on my gear, did a quick stretch and then I was out with my torch.  I only really need the torch about half way through my run, just a small run of about 4km, but enough for it to be quite dark by the time I get home.

Thought I'd go one block further out before heading home, I don't usually run down that street, it's only one over from the main road that I usually take.  I was homeward bound and then I heard the snarl and barking of a dog over yonder.

Okay, I can turn up this street, I was almost at the corner, the dog was waaaaay over there in the dark.  I couldn't see it but I could surely hear it, and the barking was getting louder.   It had decided to run about three house lengths over to me rounding the corner to catch me.

Now it was probably a friendly dog, although I maintain the bark sounded like Cujo.  This was not a sausage dog this time that I could outrun those little stumpy legs.  This was a very fast paced Border Collie.  It rounded me a few times as I kept running, every time it went behind me I almost braced myself for a bite in my calf.  I think it nipped at the back of my heel of my runners at one stage, either that or I near on tripped myself up.  Surely it couldn't have mistaken me for a hot pink sheep it needed to keep in check.

It didn't let up so then I started yelling at it.

"GET AWAY FROM ME !!!!!"

"LEAVE ME ALONE !!!!!"

"DON'T TOUCH ME !!!!!!"

and associated screams.

It backed off and I kept running home, run directly to home, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just get to my street and get inside my front gate.

I could only imagine that the police would have been scouring our town last night for a potential murder victim if the neighbours had reported the blood curdling screams they heard coming from the darkened street.  I can imagine the front page headlines of our weekly town newspaper now.

"SEARCH CALLED OFF, MISSING VICTIM, NO CLUES"

So may your runs be safe runs, and good night.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that would have been so scary! I'm glad that you managed to come out of your encounter unscathed and I hope that you're feeling okay!

Indigo Kate said...

'a bark like Cujo' - you are completely hilarious Carol.
Glad you're safe and sound!