So out I went. It was cold, I love my new long sleeved running top. I decided to run 5 kilometres out of town and then turn around and run back again. All well and good, I was running on one of the roads out of town, usually a quiet road, apart from a farmer who moves his cows down it. But for some reason this morning there were a few cars. I was running facing the oncoming traffic, and each time a car appeared I went well over to the grass verge, slippery and wet, urrrgh.
My friend on the Runkeeper told me I had hit 5 kilometres, fantastic, I was almost to the salt flats so I did a u-ey and then she went into stutter mode. Every time she spoke to me after that she kept telling me I was still at 5 kilometres.
"NOOOOOOOOOOO" I screamed at her. "I'm still running. I can't be at 5 kilometres you silly woman!!!"
And yet on and on she kept telling me that I was at 5 kilometres. So apart from the clock which seemed to be ticking along correctly, I had no idea how far I had run. Until I dug my phone out of my bra in the home straight, yes yes, well I didn't have a pocket and so it nestles in there quite nicely, and then it started working again. I had to retrace my map on Runkeeper when I got home to see just how far I'd run, because it had me going home as the crow flies.
9.4 kilometres. :-)
Gaaaaaaaah. I'm almost ready to break up my love affair with Runkeeper. I just wish the woman would sound a bit more excited for me as well.
Instead of: "Time 5 minutes, distance zero point seven one kilometres, average pace blah blah blah"
Why can't she say: "Time 5 minutes, oh my goodness have you been running that long, good on you, distance zero point seven one kilometres, you go girl, you are doing great, just keep it up, average pace blah blah blah, I'm so proud of you."
Just a thought for any app makers out there. :-)
Oh, and because it's of world importance, I would like to announce NO BLISTERS!!!!!! I swear I almost need to bathe in that Body Glide, it's done the trick completely.
So anyway I've been checking out the Garmins, any tips on which one?? I'd probably still carry my phone for safety sake, or in case I break down and need for Mike to come pick me up but I like the thought of the convenience of a watch. And of course I live for a map at the end, so Garmins have that covered with Garmin Connect. I'm all ears for recommendations.

3 comments:
Hey I only just looked at this particular snip clip last night but Mish has a small video about different ways to do your laces up to avoid blisters. Could help to take a look!
They definitely need to have motivational Runkeepers! 9.4 is awesome! That would have driven me crazy not knowing how far I'd actually gotten!
I would totally buy that app! If my Garmin encouraged me in that way I'd...marry it or something! ;)
Mine is a Garmin 110 - it comes with HRM as well (but I've only worn it once), and my favourite bit is uploading each run to the Garmin Connect website and checking out the stats. Shows pace and kms along the way too. :)
Your post made me laugh. Oh, for a little bit of automated enthusiasm. It reminded me of a particularly hellish drive through Sydney traffic on holidays with my children when the woman of the GPS finally said, 'you have reached your destination' and my youngest threw her hands up and said, 'YAY! We have reached our imagination!' It certainly felt like I'd reached the limits of my imagination. Love your blog. Keep up your amazing efforts, you're an inspiration.
Post a Comment