Saturday, June 22, 2013

Balance ... what's that?

Ha!  I went to a Body Balance class last night and realised that I have no balance at all, but it was loads of fun and such a lovely way, particularly the relaxation part at the end, to finish the work week on.

A wonderful instructor from a local gym offered to take a private Body Balance class for our Warrnambool & Surrounds 12wbt crew and we had 12 of our ladies there for the session.   I did a bit of google detective work before I went and saw that it's a cross between Yoga, Tai Chi and Pilates.  Ha!  We'll have this one in the bag.  Not so!  It's way more strenuous than I thought and I could see the benefits straight away.

I'm still having a bit of pain in my right thigh, so some of the moves I dumbed down a bit.  And then I found myself making up some of my own moves which I named "I am a Little Teapot" and "Walk Like an Egyptian"!!!  They definitely were not on the instructor's repertoire, but she is free to use them in upcoming classes should she wish!!  ;-)



A group photo and there's me down the front in the hot pink jacket with my "Walk Like an Egyptian" pose !!  What can I say?  All good fun.  I know I drove home in a very happy state anyway.  Great way to finish my Friday.

Sooooooo ... what else is news I hear you ask?  You did ask didn't you?

Ran my longest distance EVER this morning.  11.8 kilometres.  Took me exactly 1 hour 30 mins so I'm not setting the world on fire, but I'm being consistent.  Non-stop.  Plodding along.  And I know the speed and the time will improve in time.  I am so freaking proud of myself and it was  great morning for it.  I do so love my hot pink jacket, it is a perfect jacket to run in, it has a pocket up on the shoulder to pop my phone in and I don't get overhot in it.  And it has the big Adidas stripes on the torso which are reflective.  Just perfect.


Just look at this crazy map, I ran a big figure 8, north to the farmland beyond the town, then south to the farmland there.  Interesting to see my pace, the blue bit down the bottom, it remained fairly static throughout the run.  Must work on some variations there, instead of just doing the plod.

Now these old bones are resting and there may be some knitting in my future in front of the fire.  Bliss.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's get the laughter out of the way first, shall we? Haha - you are a classic, and I love the pose. :D

And more importantly - huge Woo Hoo! Well done, Carol I am so proud / happy / lots of other excitable things!!

ps - a friend has the Nike+ app, which in her words, "...tells me I am awesome and cheers and does fireworks if I break a time or distance. Sometimes "The Crowd Goes Wild!!"

I think you NEED this. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! So many awesome things! I love your pink jacket even more when you're wearing it! and I'm glad that you love it so much.

I used to do Body Balance and I loved it, I'm so glad that you had a good time and felt the benefits of it!

Also CONGRATS on your PB! Running non-stop for an 1 hour and 30 mins! My gosh that's amazing!

Unknown said...

Awesome effort Carol. Pace doesn't matter unless you have a specific time goal. For us amateurs it is about ticking off new PB's and you are doing amazingly. Keep it up and we will have you joining the half marathon group in no time.

Sheridan said...

Ha! I used to think balance was a cop out for exercise, until I did a class and couldn't move for a few days!! Good effort on PBing your run!! What's week 7 got in store then???

Myriddian Shrinks said...

Fantastic work on the one woman revolution of yoga, I'll be waiting with bated breath for the new routines to be released near me!

Well done on the PB also!

Indigo Kate said...

Longest run ever? That's an excuse for a happy teapot/Egyptian dance move if ever there was one. Awesome work, Carol.