So the weekend has rocked around again and I had to do a 12km run. It was weighing heavily on my mind.
Friday evening I don't mind telling you I was sitting here at the computer finishing a deadline of a project I had, and I didn't notice the time getting away from me. I went to stand up and I swear I had to uncrink myself. I was in agony. It may have been a coincidence that I had been at the computer a couple of hours without moving, or it may have been a by-product of my running, who knows. All I know that all weekend if I go from sitting to standing I am taking an age to straighten up and walk properly. Once I'm up and around walking no problems, it's just my usual aches and pains. Are we ever not hurting???
So Saturday morning the alarm went off, I groaned and stayed in bed. A long time as it happens. Mike got up and told me to just sleep as he knew how sore I was the night before.
This morning the alarm went off and I went to get up but once again going from sitting (or lying as the case was) to standing was painful. So I ditched the weekend run again.
During the morning I was doing things around the house, moving with no problems because once I'm moving I'm okay and I remembered something a running friend mentioned on our running facebook site, that the pain of not doing the run would have been worse than the pain of the run itself, or words to that effect.
So at just after 11.30 this morning I got myself ready to go out. I knew it would end up being a walk/run/walk/run and I was fine with that. I just needed to get the kms in my legs. And I thought that it would be too easy to call the run short if I just did my running loops around the streets in town, so I decided I would just run straight out of town 6km and then turn and run all the way back in. Shades of Forrest Gump there huh?
I did however tell Mike to keep his mobile phone handy in case I broke down along the way.
The map here is crazy, you can see I left the township of Mortlake and just kept running, even past the salt flats. I actually wasn't sure where 6km was going to take me and I was praying as I ran that Runkeeper would hurry up and tell me it had arrived! Only a few trucks passed me which meant I had to get way over in the verge so I didn't get knocked off my feet with the back draft as they drove past. And the odd car that went past made sure they gave me a wide berth as I got off the road for them also, running against the traffic.
Friday evening I don't mind telling you I was sitting here at the computer finishing a deadline of a project I had, and I didn't notice the time getting away from me. I went to stand up and I swear I had to uncrink myself. I was in agony. It may have been a coincidence that I had been at the computer a couple of hours without moving, or it may have been a by-product of my running, who knows. All I know that all weekend if I go from sitting to standing I am taking an age to straighten up and walk properly. Once I'm up and around walking no problems, it's just my usual aches and pains. Are we ever not hurting???
So Saturday morning the alarm went off, I groaned and stayed in bed. A long time as it happens. Mike got up and told me to just sleep as he knew how sore I was the night before.
This morning the alarm went off and I went to get up but once again going from sitting (or lying as the case was) to standing was painful. So I ditched the weekend run again.
During the morning I was doing things around the house, moving with no problems because once I'm moving I'm okay and I remembered something a running friend mentioned on our running facebook site, that the pain of not doing the run would have been worse than the pain of the run itself, or words to that effect.
So at just after 11.30 this morning I got myself ready to go out. I knew it would end up being a walk/run/walk/run and I was fine with that. I just needed to get the kms in my legs. And I thought that it would be too easy to call the run short if I just did my running loops around the streets in town, so I decided I would just run straight out of town 6km and then turn and run all the way back in. Shades of Forrest Gump there huh?
I did however tell Mike to keep his mobile phone handy in case I broke down along the way.
The map here is crazy, you can see I left the township of Mortlake and just kept running, even past the salt flats. I actually wasn't sure where 6km was going to take me and I was praying as I ran that Runkeeper would hurry up and tell me it had arrived! Only a few trucks passed me which meant I had to get way over in the verge so I didn't get knocked off my feet with the back draft as they drove past. And the odd car that went past made sure they gave me a wide berth as I got off the road for them also, running against the traffic.
It was hot out there, and well when you think about it, I was running in the heat of the day, doh! I was just so glad to be moving and pain free. What's a run without a selfie though! You can see the road stretched out behind me, this was as I was making my way back into town.
A view across part of the salt flats over to Mount Shadwell, heck I was a long way from town!
And as part of the Licorice & Olives Race series we were to take a photo during our run, well I had a few to pick from didn't I? But this is the one I chose. The sky was such a beautiful colour, honestly if you could bottle it, you'd make a fortune.
Another view of the long long road in front of me. Run Carol Run !! ;-)
And I've often driven past the old Butter Factory at the edge of town, but never stopped to take a photo as it is on a sweeping bend. It's a ramshackle old building falling down with cacti in the front which just look so out of place. So I had to stop and take a pic.
And yes, this week is the February race for the Licorice & Olives race series 5km. So I used the first 5km of my run this afternoon, paused Runkeeper to take the screen print, and then continued on my way. I'm not fussed that the time is slow, being that it was part of the bigger picture. I don't know why it was saying I was doing a 6 min km, cause I wasn't going that fast! ha.
Some post run stretches and then it was nap central in this house. I ended up having a delicious hour long nap on the bed, Mike fell asleep on the couch in his usual possie, and Lucky loves to get wedged between him and the arm of the couch, he hangs with his head over the side (can we say blood rush!) and pops his paw up on Mike's leg. Funny boy.








2 comments:
You have such a beautiful place to run, and take such amazing photos. I love them! xox
a 6km pace is still pretty decent.
Well done.
Post a Comment