Sunday, February 9, 2014

Long Saturday morning run ... on a Sunday

Okay so I'm not a morning person as such.  Oh I have no problems getting up early for work, but I wake up slow.  I'm a potterer.  My alarm is usually for 6am on a week day and I don't leave for work until 7.45.  But I potter.  I like having a leisurely breakfast.  I like taking my time to really wake up.  So that means I don't work out early.

I know I know, it's all about getting the monkey off your back, and I see the benefits in that.

But I tend to work out or run after work.  Which can lead to the "can't be bothereds" -- or the inclement weather -- or the working back -- or the having things on after work etc etc.

However I know I need to pull my finger out with this half marathon program, and already ditching the Saturday morning run yesterday I needed to get up and out the door early.  And I did.  And what do you know it, what a prize I was congratulated with ...


So people, this is what your Sunday morning looked like if you were still asleep in bed.  GLORIOUS!

I managed 10.6 kilometres this morning, but needed to do a cheeky little walk every 2km because of the humidity.  Heck, we're down south, it's not meant to be this hot!  And I was already out before the sun was up.

One thing that did bother me this morning was the flies.  OMG, they were so bad.  So I figure if i did 10.6k, those flies that were following me the whole way, doing circles around me, must clearly have done 20k !!  I forgot the one product this morning that I swear by.  I'll let you into a little secret.

Nature's Botanical.


Is it a secret or does everyone already know about it?  Haven't seen it on the shelves by chance?  Perhaps checking the wrong shelves.   Errrr, you get it from the vets or your local equine store, Horseland or similar.  Yes it's an animal product, but I swear by it.  It's not an unpleasant smell, a little essential oil kind of like, Rosemary and Cedarwood.  A little dab here and there and a few dabs on your face and the flies will not bother you.  It's a large promise, but works for me.  Except this morning.  Because I forgot!  Grrrrrr.

The other thing I swear by and I have spoken about it here many times is Body Glide.  My ever increasing blisters last year were crippling me and the lovely Di McG sent me some.  Life Saver!   I'm still yet to find the perfect pair of socks but until then my Under Armour ones I get from Anaconda.  I'm sure you can get them elsewhere, but that's where I've seen these particular ones I wear so keep getting them from there.  I'm open to any other suggestion of socks, but at the moment they are my "go to" pair.

And while we're at it, has anyone invented the perfect knickers for running?  That don't ride up, or give you a wedgie, or roll down.  I'm not a hipster type girl, I need them higher up, but not full brief, hope that makes sense.  Open to all suggestions there too.  Until then I've been wearing some ordinary brand that I got by chance from Myer, Ambra, but still not perfect.

Oh and I've just bought a new running top from Sports Skirts.  Here it is HERE.  I got the black and white swirly pattern one and it sits sooooo nice!  A little lower at the back and it covers the bra straps which I like.  I must admit I didn't read the description correctly where it said to go down a usual size because of the fitting, and got my normal size in sports tops.  It's a little big around the arms, but it does fit nicely everywhere else, skims the body, not tight.  It will be fine for this year, and when I'm ready I'll get a smaller size.  Hopefully by then they'll have the tartan in that style.  How cool it would be for my Mike and my Scottish in-laws, if I were to wear a tartan running top in races, they'd certainly see me coming!

Okay there's my widom and whinges for the day.  Hope you are having a great Sunday and roll on Week 2 of the Half Marathon program.

By the way ... as part of the group "I want to Run or Walk 1000 kilometres in 12 months" (and in my case it's running) I have now run a total of 94 kilometres for the year.  Go me!  Already ahead of the game from last year's efforts.

1 comment:

sal2go said...

Well done .The weather in Victoria certainly isn't helpful this summer. 10km run is amazing. So you are building up to a half marathon ,that a great goal,good luck. I'm keen to watch your progress. Great to share with family too.
Cheers
I also discovered the flies while walking in Melbourne. Very persistent and annoying.