Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Night Running ... eeeek !

Night running ... love it !  Now before you tsk tsk and think I'm being dangerous or putting myself at risk or being fool hardy, remember I live in a very small country town where just about everyone knows everyone else.  Maybe not EVERY one but you get my drift.  I think I could quite happily say I know families in a number of houses in every street in town, so if I got into trouble there would be help at hand very close by.  Plus I carry my phone and a torch that could send a mighty whack.  So I'm quite sure I'm not going to be splashed across the evening news that something drastic has happened to me, lest I fall over my own two feet.  

So I'm lucky I have the opportunity here that just because day light saving is well and truly over, that I can still get out about after I get home from work.

It can be cold, I'll grant you that.  On nights that I'm not at the gym, I get home from work, get changed and it's dusk by the time I go out.  You can see I take precautions by wearing a fluoro vest with reflectors front and back.  And trust me, if my husband thought I was in any danger he'd be stamping his feet and telling me not to go.

Now these photos looks like it's pitch black when I get home, it's not THAT dark, I think it's just the focus on the camera.  I can still see but your eyes do need to adjust and yes the sun has gone, street lights are on and it is dark but not pitch black,  and I do use my torch.  Particularly as we don't have many footpaths in town so I run on the verge of the road and the odd times a car comes the other way I shine the torch on my vest and move over onto the naturestrip.  I don't like running ON the actual naturestrip for any length of time though because they're so uneven.

Some pics here setting out and getting home.  Oh and these photos were not taken tonight, they were from last week.  Tonight's run I hobbled back home running like the Hunchback of Notredame ... darn blister!



So I am very fortunate I know that I have the freedom to run at night and not feel any trepidation in doing so. Put me in another environment and I'd be a scaredy cat, trust me, and no way I'd be out there after dark!!  

Oh and I swear there is a wolf in town.  I am sure I hear it howling as I run.  Even though I know there are no wolves in Australia.   Funny though how sounds are amplified in the dark.  Probably one of the odd people in town howling at the moon! ha

The kindness of runners

I received a lovely parcel in the mail today from a runner who I find very inspirational.  Hearing of my continuing blister plight (yep, I can't stop talking about it!!) she kindly sent me some Body Glide to try out and a pair of great running socks.  Thank you so much D !!   This is definitely a pay it forward type moment for me, and hope that I will be able to reach out to someone in their hour of need (or blister desperation!) also.

I did realise though tonight I need to wait until the poor old skin on my foot has completely healed before the Body Glide has a hope of working.  Hence my running like the Fluoro Hunch Back tonight!!

3 comments:

TrishaZ said...

Hi Carol, thanks for popping over to my blog, saying "Hi" and encouraging me. I've had a look through your stories and I'm hugely inspired by your journey. I actually live in Geelong so if you are running here any time let me know and maybe I can run with you or at least bolster your cheer squad! All the best, Trish

Anonymous said...

That is awesome gear for night running! I find I like the cold for running, it's very refreshing.

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried night running yet, but there's a local group that do a run once a week that I'm considering joining (not fast enough yet lol). I've heard it's fantastic! Well done on yours - I love that you're really mixing things up. :)