I remember thinking when I heard 4.something that I was half way to my previous PB. Then when it hit 5k I thought wow, I've just got to double what I just did and I'm there.
When it went past 8.3k I was on a high, I knew anything from here on in I was in unchartered territory. Then homeward bound I knew I was getting close and when it hit that magical 10 kilometre mark you couldn't wipe the smile off my face.
As I got home I looked up the driveway and I could see Mike there and he looked up at me and I couldn't help it, arms up in the air I ran down the driveway yelling "I did 10, I did 10" I can't imagine what the neighbours were thinking.
I am so freaking proud of myself right now. And it's all because of a very encouraging friend in the Warrnambool & Surrounds 12wbt group who challenged me to try for a 10 k run by finale of this round. And of course egged all the other girls on too.
Here it is folks. My map was so big on runkeeper I had to stick 2 together (hence the wobbly bits on the sides). One might say I ran all over town today.
I've mentioned them a few times in my posts, but I truly love the Warrnambool & Surrounds 12wbt crew. They are the most encouraging and dynamic group of women and truth be known once I went past 8km I kept thinking, I can't wait to tell the girls.
Imagine my surprise this afternoon, mind you after my CWA meeting (where I was feeling like some of the older ladies by that stage!! Oh my aching legs!) I hooked onto our facebook group and saw Kellie, who started all this try for 10 nonsense :-) had started a post, and by heck she had remembered everything about me over the past year.
- The fact I was wearing my socks on the wrong feet when I got fitted for running shoes.
- That my favourite dress boutique is closing down.
- The not so secret notion that I love Chobani yoghurt.
- That we are getting special Warrnambool & Surrounds 12wbt shirts made.
- The day I ran up the mount and encountered the bull.
- That I had gone to Emazon and was pretty impressed at that visit.
- And my courageous effort to run up Mt. Elephant in the Derrinallum fun run.
I'm sure Kellie won't mind me sharing this, it was so flipping funny I let out a huge unlady like snort when I was laughing so much when I read it later in the afternoon.
" In BREAKING NEWS … there is a massive buzz around Warrnambool and Surrounds today. Everywhere I went I heard snippets of conversations, 10 kms one said, Carol is unstoppable another said, we knew she could do it a neighbour was heard to say.
It started when I stopped into The Athletes Foot and the staff there were too busy to serve me as they were excitedly chatting about something, the handsome Manager came rushing over to me saying “Have you heard about Carol Gilmour … she ran 10 kms non stop! Tell her to come in and I will fit her in the best running shoes I have. You know, I sold Carol her first pair of running shoes, she sure has come a long way from the lady who wore her socks on the wrong foot.”
Next stop was Jaz Boutique who were so excited about Carol they wanted me to tell her that they want to dress her for the Melbourne 12wbt Finale. They have the perfect dress for her and believe that with her endorsement they will be able to remain open and not have to shut down.
I had to check on our crews 12wbt tops and the lovely lady at Joroni had an interesting proposition for me … with the recent amazing achievement by Carol they want to sponsor the entire crew’s tops and hoodies. All we have to do is add the slogan ‘Carol is awesome’’ to the back of our tops.
To top all this off when I went into Safeway the entire staff were wearing tops with the image of Carol running up a hill in Mortlake (yes the one where she is being chased by a bull). The Manager of the store announced over the loud speaker that in honour of Carol’s 10 kms everyone in the store would be receiving a month’s supply of Chobani yoghurt.
Some of you may have noticed on the Market to Mount website that the committee are super excited also (news travels fast) and want Carol to be the guest runner at next year’s Market to Mount, a world renowned run up Mt Elephant. Even more impressive is the comment on Emazon’s site saying Brace yourself Carol for what is to come, I knew you would tap into a force that you always knew you had’’. Emazon is posting Carole a SYG signature Bracelet for her efforts.
Personally, I am so proud of Carol that I had a few happy tears in my eyes when I read her post. You are an amazing woman Carol! "
Love our Warni girls, the comments that followed Kellie's hysterical (but very unfactual) post there were so heartwarming and encouraging, I've felt very special today. And totally love 12wbt. I hope this doesn't sound melodramatic, but thank you Michelle Bridges for changing my life.
The timeline banner from my facebook :-)


2 comments:
Wow. That's it. Just Wow!
Well done little lady, you are ticking off the goals weekly now, what is next for you? Perhaps you can sign up for Run Melburne and join me in the half marathon??? 15 weeks is plenty of time for you to increase that distance and tick a huge one off your list.
I have faith in you nad who cares what the neighbours think, you have just run 10kms!!!!!
Post a Comment