Saturday, April 6, 2013

Grand plans!

Mike has taken an interest in my running.  Not that he wants to run himself, no way.  But he's loving seeing me strive and achieve and push myself.  So the other night he made up a run for me for the weekend.

Hang on, backtrack a bit...

The girls from our fabulous Warrnambool & Surrounds 12wbt crew are playing fitness tag at the moment.  Something we "borrowed" from the VicTeam group, who "borrowed" it from the Ballarat group I believe.  So the aim is to tag someone, they go out and do something awesome, and come back and report about it and then tag someone else.  The things that the girls are achieving have been phenomenal.

So in my tag I ran my longest non-stop distance, oh that was a little bit ago, it was 4.something kilometres.  I was so proud of myself.   Since then I've gradually achieved longer and longer non-stop runs as I've been reporting here.

So one day I log into our private group and see flip, there's been 29 posts, wow the girls have been active during the day.  Until I see the discussion they're posting on.  One bright spark (yes you Kellie!!) started a post:
Who thinks Carol should run 10 kms before the Finale?  Comment 'yes' below if you think she can do it!

Oh Good Lord, how does one respond to that?  Pressure is on.  Of course everyone chimed in that I should do it, some thought it was in the bag, there was crazy talk of it leading to a half marathon, and me caving in and telling everyone I would give it a red hot go.

WTF???  10 FREAKING KILOMETRES, NON-STOP.  I'm just not ready for that.

Then one of the girls, Kate, reasoned that I've already run 8.3 km non-stop.  There's only another 1.7 km to go and I know I can run 1.7 km.  Gaaaah!  I hate it when people make sense.

So forward this week to Mike.  He's been plotting and scheming different routes around town that I could run that would equate to 10 km or thereabouts.  So he planned one for me for today.  It would take me from my place north out of town.  So far north that I'd be running with only farm houses and cows and sheep for company.   I'd hit the base of the Mount (the mount is an old volcano Mt. Shadwell that our town is built just south of).  Mike assured me there were only three small rises that I'd have to scale in this run, and then back onto Ararat Road heading back into town, a few loop de loops and home.   It was (on paper) a good run.

So I set off this morning.  It was perfect weather.  The sun was just lovely and warming, not hot.  There was a slight headwind, but only slight.  Perfect conditions.

Funny how cows just stop and stare as you run on by, so I had a fair bit of audience as I got up as far as Cairnlea Lane which was as north as I'd be running, turned east and then saw the first (insert delirious laughter here) rise.  Whew!  Okay so head down, body forward, I ran and well I'd like to say powered up the rise, but it was a struggle but I made it at a slow run.  Got over the other side only to see a bigger one.  This wasn't a flipping "rise" it was a full on hill.

By this stage I was calling Mike for everything under the sun.  I swear even a cow blushed when it heard my language, and I usually can't talk when I run, but I sure let invisible Mike beside me have it with both barrels in the heat of the moment.

Had a bit of a recovery coming down off the first rise and gave it a red hot go getting up the second, but it broke me.  I was about 3km into the run at this stage and my legs gave out and I had to walk up it.  Headed into a run down the other side only to see an even bigger one up ahead.  Had to walk that one too.  I was so disappointed in myself at that stage.

I was starting off on the run again and then a darn yappy sausage dog came running out of a house and started barking and nipping at my heels.  Amazing how that will send a person, with jelly legs, into an Olympic sprint!!  Then the mind games kicked in.  All I could think about was sausages, mmmmmmm, sausages in bread and tomato sauce.  Stupid sausage dog giving me a visual like that.

I can report from that stage I did run all the way back home, minus the added loop de loops, and ended up with a 7.1 km morning.



I still have about 3 and a bit weeks left in the challenge to run a 10'er before finale.  I wonder if I'll make it.

2 comments:

Emurgnshine said...

You will make it! You made it the instance the seed was planted and you said YES! I went for an 8km run the other morning 1km into it I was over it! My arms were flapping all over the place, my breathing was like a gorilla in heat ( well I don't actually know what that sounds like but I was puffing a lot) and my stride was like one of those cows that was staring at you! I cracked the teenager and walked home. Luckily I got over myself and went and did laps that evening.
One morning soon you're going get out and run and run and run and you will blow 10kms outta da water! Oh and I soooo see you in a half marathon! What great friends you have that believe in you.
Ps please dognap the sausage dog and send him to Norsey I need a PT to work on my sprints. :)

Unknown said...

You can and will do it. If I can run 21kms after only having done 14 prior you can find it in you to make the extra 1.7kms. No excuses, if you want it badly enough you will find it within and WILL yourself to get there. Doesn't have to be pretty and it doesn't have to be fast but you can and will do it. I have faith in you just you you did in me.

Go get em!!!!