Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Sunny day in Daylesford

Subtitle:  Making exercise a priority when you don't really have a chance to exercise.


Today was a glorious day in this part of the world and we did the annual trek to Daylesford to the Highland Gathering for my husband.  Leaving early and coming home late (exhausted).  I’ve been so many times now I can’t count.  My main worry was not having a chance to exercise today because it was so full on just getting there and back.  So once there, I decided to leave him there and go off on my own devices.

Do you want to take the car he asked?

Nope, not me!  I walked back into town and around and round the streets, up and down hills, in and out of shops, I was a walking machine.  And I tell you, there’s nothing more righteous feeling than passing someone walking up a hill and out-striding them to the top.  Is that bad that I felt so good about that! 

It was hot, I was sweaty, but I just kept on going.  Woah!

My legs are feeling tonight like I had a great workout.  Daylesford is a very hilly place, but it was the hill taking me back to the park where the gathering was taking place that near on did me in.

But I have a secret weapon, well in my head I do.  I used to play in a brass band many moons ago.  And you know those stirring marches that brass bands play, well I have a couple tucked away in my memory.  So when I’m attacking a hill, I am playing the march in my head (oh good Lordy Lord, I hope I don’t hum it out loud!!!).  And one foot in front of the other I keep time to the march which is steadily trilling away in my mind.   And you don’t slow down, you might take smaller paces, but the paces are regulated and steady and on the beat.

Works a charm every time. 

No comments: