Headed down to Lake Pertobe and met up with some of the girls from the Warrnambool & Surrounds 12wbt group, and it just so happens we are all in the 12wbt Runners Connect group too. We needed to get a pic for the group.
But firstly my husband and greatest supporter. Last night he wanted to carb load ready for the big race, cause carrying a big-ass camera all morning was going to be tough work! Ha.
And he did great, took loads of photos during the morning, made sure he got pics of my 12wbt friends, what would I do without these girls! One of the best incidental things of doing 12wbt has been the friendships I have made. A quick pic when we arrived...
And what's a running event without a selfie!
Thanks to Leah's hubby for taking this pic. We were heading to the start and saw Leah and the five of us Runners Connect girls were together. Yay. Photo opp. Alison, Melissa, me, Leah and Kellie. Amazon women I tell ya, how did I get so short?!!
Mike just kept snapping and snapping willy nilly as the race started. It's fun to look through afterwards to see who I could see. He mentioned he didn't see me go past at all, and yet when I checked the pics, here I am nice and focussed. Must have been those carbs! Not to mention he took a corker of a shot of one of the bosses at work running too, and didn't even know him. Way to score brownie points for me.
It was tough going with the wind and hills and I certainly didn't do my best time. Runkeeper has me at 1:15:something, I'm slow I know, but will wait for the official time. As I crossed the line I heard my name announced on the loudspeaker, woooo hoooo, to the cheers of Kellie and Melissa who were at the finish. How much I appreciate these girls.
There were two moments on the course where it comes back to you that you are pushing your body sometimes beyond what it is capable of on the day, in two areas there were runners laying in distress on the side of the road and being attended to, one by an ambulance.
And as we were milling round relaxing and there was an announcement that the last walker was coming down the straight. An 85 year old man with a walking stick was hobbling down to the finish having completed the 6km walk with his daughter, grand daughter and great grand daughter. What a special moment, the road was lined on both sides and applause broke out. As he crossed the finish line they gave him the microphone and he says simply "I'm buggered!!"
I was anxious to catch up with Floss, one of our Warrnie members and new member to the Runners Connect group, after the race, so freaking proud of her, running in her first fun run, and got rid of the fun run fears, she's caught the bug! Talk about seeing elation on someone's face, bloody brilliant!
And then the icing on the cake. The prize as far as I'm concerned. I got to get a photo with the great Steve Moneghetti. Absolutely rapt, third year running I've got a pic (blush). We had a quick chat and what a genuinely nice man, champion and great ambassador of the sport. Thrilled.
And that's it for another year. I have pulled up great and look forward to the second of the Flaggy Summer Series races on Wednesday night. This is going to be my year!






3 comments:
And another great re-cap.. Congrats, Carol, I love reading your posts.. Hopefully see you at another race soon ... Maybe Run 4 the kids ? x
Well cudos to Mike - he actually had YOU in focus in that photo even though he didn't know you were there!
So tell me, do you reckon Steve remembers you?
Love Mike! He's such a card hahaha, and it's nice to see that you're still stalking Steve! I think he looks for you to get the yearly selfie, you and he definitely have a thing...
Post a Comment