I can sit on the 5K couch now. I can wear the badge. I can shout it from the roof top.
I RAN 5 KILOMETRES TODAY WITHOUT STOPPING !
The very first time. I am over the moon.
There's a lot to be said for plotting a course and not just going out randomly running. I plotted the night before what I was going to "attempt" first thing this morning. I didn't even tell Mike what I was planning, just that I was going to try to beat my last best run in distance outdoors without stopping (which was 4.4km).
So I set off on my course and every time Runkeeper told me my 5 minute stats my smile was getting broader. I ran up a few hills as well and got to the top knowing I could coast down the other side. Still not stopping. I got all the way over to Ararat Road, woah that's clear over the other side of town (mind you it's a small town) and still I kept going. Another 5 minutes, and yet another 5 minutes, it all kept adding up.
As I was on the homeward bound stretch I heard Runkeeper say I'd only just hit 4km. How could that be? It seemed so much longer in my head. I mean I *DID* just run clear to the other side of town and back. So despite being only a block away from home I kept running and started zig zagging up and down each block just to add up more kms. Finally I was heading closer to my street and I heard the magic 5 kilometre come up.
As I rounded the corner back into my street I was grinning like a mad woman, I think I even let out a whoop, and I was fist pumping the air. Yep, I think I've become known as the crazy running woman of this town now.
All in all I did a grand total of 5.4 kilometres in 40 minutes and 05 seconds. I'm not setting land speed records, that's for sure. But right now I'm aiming for endurance over speed.
I think back to when I started 12wbt and I tried to run around the back yard and I couldn't make it. I was heaving by the time I did one lap.
I think back to my first 1km time trial and there was no way I could run 1km without stopping. I walked the majority of it. Oh that was when my saggy track pants didn't fall down, I remember running and having to hold them up.
I think back to the very first time I ran 1km on the treadmill. I was at the gym with the inspiring Tania from the Warrnambool & Surrounds 12wbt crew, and I couldn't believe it, I ran a kilometre.
And now I'm running over 5 kilometres. Un-freaking-believable. I'm on top of the world.
I was reading a blog post by the ever inspiring Leitchy tonight. I do urge you to read it, it's about celebrating the small wins. And I whole-heartedly agree. Although my 5km to me is quite huge, it's still a win and worthy of being celebrated in the highest order.
And I know there are a few people out there that will "get" my excitement, won't you Ruby Slippers :-)
Now I just have to figure how to be awesome again tomorrow.

1 comment:
I love it and yes you can sit next to me on the 5K couch, but only for a little while until you move up next to me on the 10K couch.
I can just picture you with the little fist pump, maybe a jump for joy. I did the fist pump when I got to me 10km as well and yelled out loud. Hopefully there were not any neighbours around for mine, but as you live in the country it is okay.
Well done, keep up the great work.
Post a Comment