Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fizzy drinks are BAD for you!

Well I knew that anyway, I have even stopped having diet fizzy drinks, although they are still in the house.  Mike drinks Pepsi Max, but it's safe from me, because Mike drinks it out of the cupboard at room temperature mixed with bourbon, he doesn't refrigerate it.   Urrgh.

But I definitely found out that fizzy drinks are bad for you today.

I was getting the cafe press out of the cupboard to toast some turkey wraps I had made for lunch and knocked the 2 litre bottle of Pepsi out, it hit the floor, the cap shattered and it exploded like a rocket.  There was Pepsi EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

I have had to scrub every single surface of our kitchen, cupboards, floors, walls.  Well actually Mike mopped up all the floors, I did the rest.

BAD BAD BAD !

I caved last night

Went out for a girls movie night with some friends here from town.  What that usually entails is a trip into the next town, dinner, movies and then coffee and cake afterwards.  A night I've usually enjoyed immensely.  But this time I went with trepidation.

I tried to search the restaurant we were going to but it seems they don't have a website, so I wasn't able to check out the menu.  When we got there it was a very limited menu as it was Parma Night!  Urrgh.  Now don't get me wrong, I love a good chicken parmagiana, but not right now.  And it seemed that unless I was willing to pay $30 or so for a meal, then Parma it was.   I only ate the chicken and salad, I didn't have the chips.  Small mercies perhaps?

I resisted every time my friends passed the fantails in the cinema.

But afterwards for coffee and cake, I caved. It was just easier to have a dessert than to face the wrath of the girls looking down their noses at me.  And to be honest, I didn't even given them the chance, who knows, they may have been fine with it, but I felt like I had a big old target painted on my forehead, DIETER!   I found it so hard to be the only one out of a group of five at the table to sit on a cup of coffee, when all of them would be having a dessert of some sort.  I ended up selecting a piece of lemon slice, and truth be told, it was way too sweet for me.  And now I'm disappointed in myself.

What would you have done in this situation?   It's easy to be righteous after the fact, but be honest.

This is now my mantra, keep calm, accept who I am, ignore all the foods I can't have, or won't have, or don't want.  Be up front.   And I guess one hiccup doesn't mean I've ruined it for the 12 weeks, I have jumped straight back on the wagon, it didn't sent me into a spiral.


But having said all of that, I'm still disappointed in myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is bad to have the occasional treat with your girlfriends...but as you said you didn't even enjoy it. I was diagnosed with diabetes in Feb and that serves as my "excuse" no one asks me any more if I want cake or hot chocolate or why I am not eating it. But the truth of the matter is...it wouldn't really kill me if I ate a slice of birthday cake or had a hot chocolate as long as it was very occasional and I kept my blood sugars down...the real truth is everything is too sweet for me now. I have been sugar free since Feb and even 1/8th of a teaspoon of white stevia powder in an entire pot of tea is on the too sweet side now.

As long as you aren't passing judgement on what someone else is eating I really don't see why any one would care what you are eating...but I have learnt not many people feel that way (which is why I shy away from female friends LOL).

Tough situation with no right or wrong answer unfortunately.