Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mosaic to Mountain Fun Run

Yesterday could also be known as MSKA Day 1.  More about that later.

I headed off just after 7am to Dunkeld for the Mosaic to Mountain Fun Run.  It's a terrific feel good event, small, run by the local Kindergarten, so the young children are involved too.  I tell you, coming up to route markers and having an adult with the littlies helping was just great.  I was greeted by littlies giving me high fives, some dressed up - I spied a Spiderman, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and a WonderWoman.  Just great.

First though was to find my running companion and online running friend who was going to suddenly become very real, the wonderful Chloe.  She is such a breathe of fun in our 12wbt Runners Connect running group and we had planned to do the Stawell Fun Run recently which sadly was cancelled.  So Dunkeld was to be our first meeting.   We found each other straight away, started talking and I don't think we stopped!



The route leaves the big mosaic in the park in town, a beautiful spot and runs a few out and backs which you can see in the map below.  Look at the beautiful view seeing the magestic Grampians up ahead.  Mount Sturgeon?  Mt. Abrupt? Not sure.

It ended up being quite warm when the sun came out from behind the cloud cover and so the shady tree sections were very welcome.  It was fun running with Chloe.  Even though when running with someone you are lost in your own thoughts (cause trust me I cannot talk when I run, and that doesn't mean I'm going too quick, I just cannot talk), it's nice to know someone is close by, sometimes taking the lead, sometimes falling behind, but always within reach.  



So very glad to be finished.  Official time was 1:14:42.  Eh.  Last year my time was 1:14:04.  So I'm getting slower.  Oh well, at least I'm taking part, right?



Excuse my goofy smile, but it was great to again catch up with Matilda of Run Mum fame.  I met her last year at this race, after reading her blog for a while.  She's such an inspirational runner. And I did appreciate her hooting and hollaring at me when she saw me choofing along the road as she was sprinting!  Super fast lady.



Pretty impressed my Runkeeper had kept good time.  Here's the map.



After the race and the official results for the winners, Chloe and I headed over to the market across the road.  I had plans to have a hamburger for lunch and I was famished.  Yum.  The craft nut in me loved these knitted sheep.  How fun.



I left laden with goods including one skirt, two baby bibs, a jar of apricot and vanilla bean jam (oh yum!), a Christmas tree decoration and a Quack Pack for Mike!  (that is a six pack of different bottles of Red Duck ale).

Great day, look forward to it next year, this lovely event is going to be a staple on my running calendar.

3 comments:

Chloe said...

I loved meeting you. And what a great spot for a run. Same time next year ??

Matilda said...

Where the kids just adorable. It's great when the volunteers are happy and lovely and just full of energy. I made sure I said thanks to all I past.

Was great catching up with again too.

Loved the market. I bought some pork from greenvale meats, and omg, to die for.

I could have spent so much more at the market, just as well I only had loose change.

Anonymous said...

You're definitely lapping everyone on the couch - don't worry too much about the time :-) looks like a lovely place to run!!!

Those sheep are fantastic!!!!