Sunday, September 7, 2014

Australian Running Convention wrap up

So yesterday I hit the road, or the rail track to be precise and headed to Melbourne to the Australian Running Convention.  I had been told I should wear my running gear and I'd say 95% of the people also did the same.  I tell you what, my grandmother would have turned in her grave if she knew I was walking through the streets of the city in my running gear, it was never the done thing, you "dressed" for the city!  ha.

But seeings that it was 0 degrees when I left, I opted for long tights and a t-shirt and my running jacket and must admit I also wore a scarf on the train.  We left the south-west in thick fog but it ended up a beautiful day in Melbourne.

Because of train times I was going to be arriving after the start so I knew I would miss the first workshop.  There were different workshops and seminars throughout the day.  A quick message to Sarah from the Runners Connect group and she mentioned something like 'don't worry, I'll find you, it's only small' and when I got there my heart sank.  There weren't that many exhibitors, maybe 20 at most, and it all fit in one (well quite large) room.

When I had arrived there was a seminar in progress so I slipped into a chair at the back.  It was a coaching session about planning your running year.  Quite interesting, mostly about working out what type of race and distance you are aiming for and then working back as to what you need to achieve to get there, setting goals and targets.  He was very knowledgeable.  And it was interesting that he spoke about ensuring you get the distance run over the week, and if that meant breaking up some of your longer runs because of necessity then that was okay, it was more about getting the total distance in your legs.  Ideally there would always be a long run a week, but there are times that that is just impossible, and that was okay.

I then stayed to listen to the next seminar on sports physiotherapy - run yourself well.  This was an interesting discussion from two fellows from Freedom Sports Medicine and combined information on your footwear and prolonging the life of them, staying injury free, some interesting information about our ankles and early detection of injury.  The information he gave about our runners, in that if we used them day after day we weren't giving them time to 'recover' for want of a better word, the inner foam wouldn't get a chance to decompress.  He extolled the virtues of having a couple of different runners, it not only gave your shoes a chance to recover, and in turn ensure they lasted longer, but it also gave you a chance to ensure different muscles were used in your running, if you were running with a different shoe, a different drop, whatever.

I soon realised that it was the seminars and workshops that was going to make this day what it was, it wasn't just about the exhibitors, they were nice to check out, but it was the goldmine of information I would get from these seminars that would make the day worthwhile.

Soon after that was done Sarah found me and it was so nice to finally meet her.  She had her friend Louise with her and as soon as I saw her I recognised her from reading her blog!  Ahh the blog fame.

We moved outside into the glorious sunshine and soon found ourselves on mats on the grass and taking part in a yoga and injury prevention session.  I have often heard that yoga is really a runners best friend and it was a lovely session, although not as graceful as I would have hoped, and a few giggles as well.   This pic was taken at the start of the yoga session.



We had a quick look around the exhibitors after this and soon realised that the canvas bag that they gave as at the door was to hold the bounty of goods and paraphernalia we would be collecting.  I ended up with a gel (which I've never tried before), some chocolate protein powder, a pair of Feetures socks, lots of discount vouchers to different stores, and information, and a copy of Women's Running  I had mentioned I subscribed but it hadn't come yet, so she gave me a copy anyway and told me to pay it forward when mine arrived in the mail.  :-)    Some of my free goodies, not including what I also purchased!!!



We headed back outside to take part in the next workshpo which was strength training for runners, run by a Pesonal Trainer who was also a runner.  As well as showign us the correct way to do different techniques she had us doing three sets of squats, lunges, v-sit ups, push ups and the dreaded burpees!  I was spent!  But she was very knowledgable and pointed out exactly how these specific exercises would help us in our running.  

There were some good lunch options with healthy cooking provided and then after another look round and a few purchases I sat in on another seminar on psychology - the powerful mind of the runner.  A psychotherapist here spoke about a belief system and priorities.  It wasn't quite what I was hoping.  I guess I was expecting he would give us some magical mantra so that when the going got tough we could utter the magical words and abracadabra we would be running with the grace of a gazelle.  Not quite.  

After that was the feature discussion which was brilliant.  They had four special guests:  
  • Tristan Miller: 52 marathons/52 weeks  
  • Kelly Hetherington: AU 800m champion
  • Oska Inkster-Baynes: NZ ½ marathon champion    
  • Brendan Davies: AU Ultra Runner of the Year 2012
They were impressive to listen to, completely candid in their stories about overcoming advertsity during the darkets times of their lives and how running got them not only through it, but took them on to accomplishing some amazing things.  It was such a treat to listen to their passion.

Now remember I paid $29 for this ticket, I got $10 off the early bird price, and there was a rolling increase until if you bought your ticket on the day it was $59.   I must admit I am happy I got this day for $29, even $39 I would have paid, but I would have been a little annoyed, or actually a lot annoyed if I had paid $59 on the day, I would have expected more exhibitors I think.  The venue was a little noisy, but this is the first Running Convention held, it can only get better.  And kudos to the organisers for putting it on.


Father's Day

So today was Father's Day in Australia and what a treat for us that Tab and Aaron came for a visit with the little man.  As you can see Grumpy is caught well and truly under a spell, and I'm pretty delighted too, well okay, a LOT delighted!  He is such a cuddle sponge.




And here's the proud daddy enjoying his first Father's Day.  Isn't Saxon's little shirt a hoot, does he even know that he is the centre of everyone's love and attention right now, ahhhh the joys of being a baby.  Such a beautiful family unit.

 


So yes, well only a stack of new photos were taken today, what can I say when there is an adorable little model like this!  


And I remember my own dad today.  He's been gone for well over six years now, I can't believe how quickly that time has gone and all the things he's missed out on.  


Miss you dad. 

3 comments:

Donna said...

The running convention sounds great. I think I actually prefer the sound of a 'smallish' affair to a huge production. You scored some cool freebies too.
Your grandson is growing quickly! Best times ever.
Thanks for the wrap up!
I can only dream something like that will come to Perth!

Sarah L Keating said...

Great review Carol... Was so lovely to finally meet you.. Hopefully will see you again soon.. Should finish my review tonight :)

Matilda said...

I read Tristians book recently and while I enjoyed it I found it more to be a travel book than a running book.

$59 for on the day is a bit steep. I might keep the convention in mind for next year.
Great review though.