Sunday, April 24, 2016

Running with new runners!

It's a happy day indeed when you pop on the new runners and bounce around the lounge room!  I decided to get my new Brooks Adrenaline 15 out of the box and retire my old ones today.  You served me well ol' mates, 644km to be precise.  Heck I must land hard, there's no tread left there on the ball of my foot.  If I were a car I'd have a defect notice placed firmly on my butt and taken off the road with tread like that!   No wonder I was feeling every stone I ran on.

My brother had given me a Rebel voucher for Christmas and at their last big sale I got my new kicks for zip - being that they were on sale and my voucher more than covered their price.  I figured the last two times I've been fitted expertly at The Running Company, each time I came back to Brooks Adrenaline, so I have had these beauties sitting in the cupboard for just the right time.  And today was their maiden voyage.



Move over oldies, the newies are about to take your place!



Must admit I have seen the limited edition Brooks Adrenaline 16 and I am soooooo wanting to try them on.  They are tartan!  What's not to love living with a Scot.   But they shall have to wait.

So today was the second Aths Club event of the winter series and lookie lookie, the man is looking quite the athlete wearing the shirt.  He says he must be an athlete, the shirt says so!  ha.  



So after the last naked run, this was handicapped and ... OMG ... I actually got a handicap that wasn't off ZERO!   FOR - THE - FIRST - TIME - EVER.   Okay so it helps that Mike was actually off zero, gotta keep it in the family and all.   I was off 2 mins 30.

So off the man runs.  WTF is he doing?  Wings?  Airing out his armpits?  You be the judge!



I caught him at the turnaround point, he'd only been passed by one other runner by then so what does he do ... stops and waits for me.  This is not how you run a race Mike!!!  Someone tell the man.  In his defence he said he saw I was only just behind me and thought it would be nice to go round together.  How gallant!  Okay stop laughing people.



I was delighted finishing strong so was able to look back and see Mike rounding the oval and then down the home stretch.  He really kicked it into gear (can you tell I'm proud???).   "Maybe if I shut my eyes it won't hurt so much sprinting" he's thinking.



I'm still chipping away at my 5km time.  I was so rapt.  Not my best 5km, I checked back on Garmin and that was earlier this year.  But slowly slowly I'm getting there.  Must have been the bouncy new runners helping me today.


I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying having Mike along for the ride with this running gig.  He really enjoyed today too - or maybe it was the delicious morning tea and the one (or five) pieces of jelly slice he acquired!  Either/or, after my painful 16.7km yesterday and being chased by a dog where I thought I was going to be bitten, yesterday wasn't good, I was pretty defeated.  But I recovered well and today was a great day.  So many ups and downs in this running gig.

3 comments:

Char said...

Mike looked like he was doing the chicken dance. Don;t blame him - it's a particular favourite of mine.

Anonymous said...

Love the new runners!!! I want tartan runners too!!!

hahahaha - yes, chicken dance indeed!!

So awesome you run together!!!!

Matilda said...

yay for new shoes.

Is it sad that I give my runners names... yep, I'm sad.