Saturday, April 16, 2016

Another Winter Season at Aths Club begins

So I've rejoined Aths Club for the winter season.  I truly believe that I'm reaping the benefits now of all the work I did last winter, and let's face it, it was Aths Club last winter that kept me going.  Oh how easy it is to lay in bed of a morning and hear the wind and potential rain outside, know just by peeking an arm outside the doona, that it's cold out.  Easy to snuggle back down, turn the alarm off and sleep in.   But not when there's an Aths Club event.  I know that my friends will be out there shivering in the cold, so how can I say nope not going, I'm too precious for winter!  It just doesn't happen.

Now ... ready to be gobsmacked?  My fair weathered running husband - he has joined Aths Club too for the winter season.  You didn't see that coming, now did you??!!

We had the first run for the season last Sunday and it was a 'naked run'.  Should have seen the look hubby gave me when I gave him that bit of news.  He was wondering what on earth he'd let himself in for.  ha.  Now Aths Club is based on a handicap system, so being the first run and not knowing anyone's handicap, this was the run where they'd see where everyone was sitting so it was a mass start.  And no gadgets.  No Garmins, no Runkeeper, no Strava, no Tom Toms, we had to run blind.  And guess the time we would run the 6km in.  Nearest to their guessed time wins.

Action man approaching the finish line!  Bit red in the face.



Yep, he came in 71st place out of 71 runners and was ecstatic to finish!!!  
But the beauty of this run, he actually came 55th due to his guess of his time.



It was a cool morning, a beautiful run from the Pavillion to Granny's and back.
Pictured here with some of my beautiful running friends.



So my fair-weathered-running-husband may have shocked you - how about the weekday-early-morning-running-wife!  I have no qualms in going out early for a run during the weekend or on days off work, but I've never been one to do it during the week.  Looks like that might be changing!  Funny what early to bed does to you - early to rise indeed!

I've been out a few times now just after 5am.  Headlight, fluoro vest, reflective strips, I have no doubt I am seen from the moon! ha.  But I tell you it's so peaceful out there running before the sun comes up, the morning has been still and clear, and COLD I might add.  But how cool is it to knock over 6km and then come home, shower and brecky, head to work and bask in the awesomeness all day!  ;-)



Then of course on weekend runs, or on my lovely Fridays off work, I can get out a little later at 6am and see views like this.  And mind you I'm not the only one out there, I see walkers, a spattering of other runners, the car that delivers the newspaper.  I am mindful though as I need to run 75% of my run on the road as there are no footpaths, so no headphones, not that I've been using them much of late anyway.  I've kind of ditched the headphones.



And then look at my reward on Friday morning - glorious!
Gotta love living in the country for scenes like this.



And there's something a bit intoxicating about long country roads.  My 15km run on Friday took me waaaay out of town on a big circuit - still wearing my fluoro vest but the headlamp was in my pocket.  Sun was up.



The Mount (as we call it) was looking pretty from all angles on Friday.



And as it happens how fortuitous I did my LSR (long-slow-run for the non-runners reading this) on Friday because today is a shocker - cold - wet - grey and miserable.   Tomorrow - hills - [[ if the weather is kind ]].  ;-)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow Carol, it looks beautiful. I love this time of year - there's something about the light in Autumn. I'm in awe of your running, by the way!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Yes! Love the early morning pre work runs!!! I've been missing mine - I have to get up at 4.30am to fit it in since we moved :-(

Lovely pics & well done Mike!!!