Last year I signed up to Run Downunder, not sure if I ever talked about it on this blog. It's a great way to really motivate you to run just that wee bit more, or strive for goals throughout the year, and well if you're a stat junkie you're in heaven.
Idea is that you log your runs (either manually upload proof like a screenprint from your fave running app, a pic of a treadmill screen, results from a race, whatever, something to justify why you are entering those kms) or you sync easily via Strava. Everyone starts at Canberra and your runs take you round Australia. It's taken me a year and 26 days but I'm just shy of Brisbane.
Even better is when you have a team within the site. The fabulous 12WBT Runners Connect team now has about 80 members doing RDU and a few of us met up at the latest Oddball race wearing our shirts. We get a shirt as part of our yearly entry and a medal at the end.
Idea is that you log your runs (either manually upload proof like a screenprint from your fave running app, a pic of a treadmill screen, results from a race, whatever, something to justify why you are entering those kms) or you sync easily via Strava. Everyone starts at Canberra and your runs take you round Australia. It's taken me a year and 26 days but I'm just shy of Brisbane.
Even better is when you have a team within the site. The fabulous 12WBT Runners Connect team now has about 80 members doing RDU and a few of us met up at the latest Oddball race wearing our shirts. We get a shirt as part of our yearly entry and a medal at the end.
I'm really enjoying the camaraderie from our team within the site, not to mention where I'm sitting on the leaderboard. Oh I mentioned stats - well you can see where you are sitting within your age group, on the leaderboard for the week, have you moved up or down, check the leaderboard for the year, or overall if you've been doing it for a while. How's your team sitting against other teams. What state is kicking butt.
And something I've discovered from checking this year is how I'm doing against the same time last year. Grey is how my weeks panned out last year. I can see my back injury where my kms dipped right down at about week 3 of 2015 and again at week 28 when I had the flu last year. I'm definitely not consistent with my weeks though. The orange is this year, and it's updated every time you log a run. I'll look forward to seeing how my year pans out on this map.
Oh and here's where I'm currently at. Love seeing myself inch around the country. Although slightly disconcerting that if I keep going the way I'm going it will be 2028 before I finish! hahahaha
But since starting this on 1/1/2015 I've run 1218.88 kms. Not bad hey.
So anyway, if you're looking for more motivation in your running, Run Downunder is definitely a great tool. Oh and there's also Ride Downunder for those bike fans, check it out too.

3 comments:
I might have to check it out. I often look at my stats at the end of the year and try to work out how far I've run from Brisbane. Could be a lot of fun.
PS - I'm keeping my eye peeled for cow lycra. Will let you know if I find any.
I enjoyed RDU but I haven't signed up again for it this year.
I was actually really disappointed (i even emailed them) that I got the same momento for Sydney and Brisbane. I'm not a drinker so 2 stubby holders was more than enough for me.
But good luck, where do you think you'll end up by the years end?
Love your work!!! You've inspired me.............joined up yesterday!!!
Post a Comment