This photo was taken last year, after the lump on her lip had started, but not to the point it was in her final days. Despite Lucky having distanced himself somewhat from her the last few weeks, he's been lost the last two days, keeping very close to us, I think wondering where his old mate has gone.
Today we had the Surf T Surf race, which I had almost gotten to the point of thinking I couldn't give a toss about it. But we had decided that this would be Molly's run. Mike was doing his first ever real deal fun run in the 6km and I had entered the 10km. We decided to both carry a photo of our girl and I also had her little flower collar tag in my pocket.
Mike was running with my friend Kelli, and he said it really took his mind off things keeping up with her. He did a brilliant job coming in around 45 mins according to his Runkeeper, which is a guestimate as he forgot to turn it off!
I surprised myself by my pace, I was going to give Molly's run my all today. I went out strong (for me), it was sunny but not stifling and I completely surprised myself averaging 7 minute kilometres. That never happens. All the while I imagined Molly running free beside me, no leash, tongue hanging, big smile on her face. I let out a few "come on girl we can do it" on the course, out loud. I must have appeared quite mad to people nearby me, but I didn't care. It truly felt like she was with me. I teared up a few times but brushed it away, as there was no way I was going to be able to run with a tearful snotty blocked nose.
We joined up with the 6km walkers on the way back and I had that last hill, Nicholson Street, and I ran it for all I was worth. Once at the top I looked at my Garmin and knew that unless I fell flat on my face that this was going to be a PB run, which spurred me on.
The fantastic downhill finish to Lake Pertobe, then along to the end finishing chute, despite now being on flat ground I started running faster than I've ever run. I've been practicing fast finishes, but it was like I had wings. I could see my friend Mel who had finished just before me turn around at the finish line and start waving me on and I crossed and we hugged and I started blubbering.
Garmin has me at a 3 min 18 second PB. No idea of the official time yet, it's still not up. I was so so happy and emotional, this one was for Molly.
Got some watermelon, orange and a banana and water at the end, found Mike who was quite jubilant at his run, enjoyed sitting in the sun with Team Parko (Mike's running partner today and husband) listening to the results, found Mona! ha. And then home.
It's been a good day amongst all the recent sadness.
Team Carol and Mike. Before and after! Plus my map.
Strangely I took no single selfies. But here I am in the starting Shute with some beautiful running friends.
And what's a run at the Surf T Surf without a photo of the magnificent Mona who was once again race ambassador.
But seriously so soooo proud of Mike. He was completely amazing today thanks to his wingman (wing woman) running partner Kelli. But I don't mind saying we not long got home and he was out like s light on the couch.






4 comments:
I'm so, so sorry Carol. Losing your dog really hurts. RIP Molly.
I've shed a few tears for Molly as I've been reading this. Bless her running free beside you on Sunday. RIP lovely girl & well done Carol & Mike for running in her memory. Hugs for you all including Lucky.
Do you think he distant himself knowing that he would have to get use to her to being around? Animals can be smart like that.
Either way, she was part of the family. She was well loved, you can clearly see that.
I haven't been by your blog in ages, but something made me think of Molly and I had to come by. I'm sooo sorry for your loss.im sure the pain is still strong. What a beautiful tribute to Molly taking her with you for a last run ❤️ RIP sweet girl! I'm coming up on 6 years without my Kayla and I still feel her spirit with me every minute of every day ❤️
Post a Comment