So yesterday I made my way to Caulfield to go to ARC15, otherwise known as the Australian Running Convention 2015. I went last year and it was great. This year the schedule promised to be even better, a bigger venue, separate areas for the seminars, special guests Tamsyn Lewis-Manou, Steve Moneghetti and Duer Yoa. They also promised a suprise feature event... "this spectacular event is going to be exhilarating, entertaining and a whole heap of fun". Okay! Bring it on.
I found my way to Caulfield on the Metro train and a hop skip and jump and I was at the racecourse. To be honest not having been there before I was wondering where to go. There were no big signs or 'this way to ARC' anywhere. Saw a couple of people wearing running clothes so just followed them. So obviously I would have to assume they weren't hoping to get passersby in, it was only if you knew the event was on.
One of the best things for me was getting to meet up with some of the ladies from the Runners Connect group that I'd not met before - we have said our group is like a whole heap of friends yet to meet. I was tickled pink to meet up with the lovely Trina, the amazing Kaz and the wonderful Jane. And no my head is not that boofy, it's an optical illusion. I cherish the friendships that these ladies and others from the group bring to me in my running journey.
I found my way to Caulfield on the Metro train and a hop skip and jump and I was at the racecourse. To be honest not having been there before I was wondering where to go. There were no big signs or 'this way to ARC' anywhere. Saw a couple of people wearing running clothes so just followed them. So obviously I would have to assume they weren't hoping to get passersby in, it was only if you knew the event was on.
One of the best things for me was getting to meet up with some of the ladies from the Runners Connect group that I'd not met before - we have said our group is like a whole heap of friends yet to meet. I was tickled pink to meet up with the lovely Trina, the amazing Kaz and the wonderful Jane. And no my head is not that boofy, it's an optical illusion. I cherish the friendships that these ladies and others from the group bring to me in my running journey.
When I bought my ticket I thought you had to pick either Stream A or Stream B with regard to the Seminars and I had picked A, but as it happened you could just go from either/or as the day progressed.
I had earmarked the following to see:
- Seminar - Runners Body - Injury Prevention and Management
- Workshop - Foam Rollering and Spiky Ball
- Seminar - Runner's Mind - Psychology & Motivation - Tamsyn Lewis
- (LUNCH) - looking forward to the healthy options available!!!
- Seminar - How to run your first marathon -Steve Moneghetti
- Seminar - Run the right way with Smart Training
- (FEATURE EVENT)
- Seminar - Nutrition - Need to know.
There I had my day planned. I took some notes at each, so just some of the things I jotted down...
Runners Body - Injury Prevention and Management
This discussion was by two gentlemen who's names escape me. It was a really good seminar. They talked about your 'load' and managing and monitoring your load as you train and race. Also about how moods effect you. And one of the most important things I got out of it is to recover as hard as you train.
Foam Rollering and Spiky Ball
Being a workshop I was all set thinking we were going to take part. Much like last year's workshops that I went to where we were active participants. That's what a workshop is right? But I was a bit disappointed in that we were just watching someone demonstrate the foam rollering and use of the spiky ball. Having said that he was very knowledgeable and yes whilst I use my roller at home, I have no idea how I should really be using it. So it was good to see the postures he used to get the most out of it. He also went through the different areas of our bodies - stable and mobile - and which areas to roll and when to use the spiky ball.
Runner's Mind - Psychology & Motivation - Tamsyn Lewis-Manou
Being an elite athlete I guess her need for motivation may be a lot higher than my need, but if you drill down it's all relative. She mentioned that keeping the motivation up was aided in being part of training groups for fun and more importantly for reassurance. I would count online training groups as well as get out and run training groups in this, because the amount of support I get from our 12WBT Runners Connect group is second to none. So big tick for that. She also mentioned that we can get in a rut, so to vary our training sessions to keep the motivation up and stop boredom. So the two key things I took away from her seminar was - keep it fun and social and keep varying it up.
Lunch!!!
Sitting through all of these and chatting to the girls had built an appetite so I was looking forward to going to the "Healthy Food and Beverage Zone' as mentioned on their website. "ARC15 offers healthy delicious food and drinks options available to purchase throughout the day in our outdoor zone." I remembered the wonderfully healthy food last year, so was looking forward to lunch.
A big thumbs down. Now I guess they can only offer what vendors put their hands up to participate, but we were very let down. There was a wood oven pizza vendor, and a van with a display of hamburger/hot dog looking items - probably not, but from what I could see it was food in big buns. Neither offered their fares as healthy eating. Jane, Trina and I looked at each other in despair, looked at our watches wondering if we could get a pass out but time was going to be an issue. Let me tell you if someone had set up a stall and had ready made salad rolls they would have made a killing. We spotted a yoghurt van, hmmm well it did say low fat, so thought that could be an option. Mmmmm yep, low fat maybe, but toppings such as crushed Tim Tams, M&M's I think there were, and Oreos. We three ended up grabbing a yoghurt with granola as the best of a bad bunch. So the food was a real let down.
How to Run your First Marathon - Steve Moneghetti
Easy tigers, haven't said I'm doing this, but I was interested in what he had to say. The man is such a great speaker, funny, he had everyone laughing and so interested in every word he said. I loved that he said "You only finish your first marathon once". So take it in. Really be in the moment for the last few kms. Also a lot of marathoners expect a let down afterwards. All that training done, the marathon over, now what? He would advise to prepare 12 months to run a marathon. You will narrow down the risks by preparing well. Also while training your body needs to adapt to the time you'll be out there. So if you expect to run a marathon in 5 hours, then make sure you let your body experience that time out on the road. However if you do have a set back, try to be less time oriented. You ran a marathon! Be proud. That in itself is an achievement regardless of the time.
Run the right way with Smart Training
I really enjoyed this seminar put on by David Eadie and Nikki Wynd who create personalised training programs from the company The Running Man. They spoke about SMART training. Training that had S=Structure, was M=Meaningful (to what you were trying to achieve), was A=Appropriate (to your fitness and ability), was R=Relevant (to your event) and at a T=Time/Pace (at the right pace for you). Nikki in particular was really interesting to listen to. She was the winner of the 2015 Badwater Ultra Marathon, 217 or so km in 27.23 hours. Wow. I would like to have listened to more of her story for sure.
Feature Event
So then we headed outdoors for the feature event, not sure what it was, but they billed it as something not to be missed. It was a handicapped tongue in cheek race between Moneghetti, Duer Yoa, a horse of sorts, a pregnant woman and a small child. It was a bit of fun but it certainly didn't fill up the allotted one hour in the program.
So what to do, another 45 or so minutes before the last seminar and I decided to call it a day. I thought that I had already got what I wanted out of the day and knowing I had a long trip ahead to get back into the city, then train to Geelong then 2 hour drive home, I headed off, as did Jane and Trina. Kaz was still knee deep in enjoying the last part of the day. So off I went, but not before snapping a pic (tee hee). Steve was just a little flat, and didn't have much to say.
There were a lot more stalls than last year and hmmm yep I did a bit of purchasing.
- Body Glide as I was just about out.
- AthLights - a little magnetic light that let out a really piercing red flashing glow, no need to pin it on your gear, you just clipped it on with a magnet. Anything to make sure you are seen and safe out there. We'll see how it goes, there's two to a pack, you can see a video on their website.
- I tried out a performance and recovery powder from Turbo Superfoods. I've been noticing that the longer I run, the more famished I am getting mid-run, even if I have a bit of toast or whatever before I head out, but even then that brings it's own set of problems having to have that earlier than the time you want to get out the door. I tried this powder mixed with rice milk and it was good tasting and very easy on the stomach. I'm going to try some of this before heading out for long runs and see how I go.
- I got some pressure socks from Orthosleeve for Mike, he has some aches in his legs from his varicose veins (TMI?) so with a bit of luck these will help without feeling like his toes are restricted.
- And lastly some Balega socks. I am kind of hooked on Feetures as my sock of choice, but I'm up for trying any new ones. Took them out for their maiden voyage this morning and yep, very good! I liked the feel and fit of them.
So in a nutshell that was the day. Walked back in the door at home just after 7.30pm exhausted. Great day, even with the little hiccups as to the strange food on offer and the feature event that didn't really live up to the hype on their website. However no disappointment in going, I got a lot out of it and enjoyed meeting up with the ladies, and would do it all again.







1 comment:
Looks like a fab day despite the food & the special event let down.
Have you tried tailwind on your runs? It always takes me an hour or so post long run before I feel hungry. I usually have a protein drink (chocolate with milk) straight after to help with recovery, then eat when I'm ready.
I need new socks!!!!!!! well, maybe I'd like some LOL!!!
Post a Comment