Monday, March 24, 2014

#118forboston

One thing I have come to realise on this running journey that I've been on, is that there is a running fraternity out there.  I'm not just meaning the little nod you may give, or a hand wave acknowledging a runner coming in the other direction.  I am meaning wonderful WONDERFUL people and groups out there who have your back, who will talk running with you when other people's eyes glaze over, who celebrate every single kilometre you string together, who understand that blisters are foremost in your mind, who join with you when you feel like you have accomplished world domination when you do your longest run ever, or a PB, or any number of high five moments.

I might not be in a running group where we meet up and actually run, but I'm so lucky I am in a few running groups online where I get all of the above and more.

The first one is "I'm going to run or walk 1000 kilometres in 12 months".  A great group for motivation and commitment, so many of the people on it I know locally as it was started by someone from my work a few years ago, but now it is open to anyone on facebook and there are people from all over Australia on it.  We just track our runs, report in, and give our YTD total.

I'm already ahead of the game, this is my second year tracking my runs.  So far this year I am up to 208km.  Go me.  I've run from Mortlake to the other side of Castlemaine!    Last year I totalled 621km all up, so I'm ahead of the game pro-rata already.

The other group which I absolutely adore, I can't go a single day without checking in with these inspirational girls (and a few guys) is "12WBT Runners Connect".  We've all come together with the common nexus of having done 12wbt and through same developed a love for running.  We've shared training tips, our runs, our races, our PB's, our highs, our lows, we are at all different levels, some members are trying to string 1km together, others are training for marathons and ultra marathons.  All as equally important.

So they are my local running fraternities that I am involved with.  But we who run are part of runners worldwide.  I think on my long weekend run that there are a stack of people out there doing exactly what I'm doing at that moment.  It's a united feeling.

So tonight I stumble on this website, via another blog.

#118FORBOSTON

So basically the 2014 Boston Marathon is in its 118th year.  So after the tragic events last year, it seems runners worldwide are uniting and using Runkeeper to track 118 million miles between 1st March and 21st April.  Just need to use the hastag #118forboston and your activity is counted.  I love that the website seems to be real life updating, adding your runkeeper profile pic as your mileage is added.    I am totally on board.  It won't change the past, but it will make me feel part of the worldwide running fraternity.

So my first effort last weekend was my longest run ever.  I used to get hung up over the run/walk/run but I don't any more.  Wiser people than me have said it's okay, I'm still moving, I haven't stopped (except when I had to take a quick break at the public loos at the park!!).  I'm still way behind where I wanted to be with my half marathon preparation.  I've been told if I can get to 17km I should be okay on the day.  The way I'm going it's going to take 3 hours to finish the darn thing.  Mike is looking at maps for the nearest pub to hang out in I think!!



It was slow, it took near on 2 hours to travel 14 and a half kilometres and truly I have outrun this town I live in, I literally painted the town red!  I'm sure I had some funny looks from drivers, and there were a few toots as I was running down the highway.  I figured either hey I really look like a runner, or hmmm, I just may have loo paper hanging out the back of my tights having just visited the park.  Ha!


So the old knees were a bit fragile today, so I went for a nice big walk at lunchtime, just to keep myself going.  It's way too easy to just sit in my job.  I'm aiming for 15.5 km next weekend, but before then I have some more runs to get in.  One of which is the third 5km virtual fun run for Licorice & Olives is up this week.
Hope everyone has a great week ahead.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on the new distance!!!! Try not to worry too much about your time for this half - achieving all you have to date & going for that distance alone makes you a legend!!!!!

Matilda said...

running 600+ km last year is a fair effort. So adding on another 400 is a step up. But good on you for giving yourself a goal.

Your map looks like connect the dots. You must know your home town very well.

BTW you going to do Run The Gap in May (25th may)? There is a 6km & 12 event. There is a 21km event but there is a time cut off, and you wouldn't make it (sorry), it's a tough course.
Would be awesome if you could come. I'm going to be doing the 12km this year.

Matilda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah L Keating said...

Love it. Great post. It's so true isn't it and one of things I've grown to love about these wonderful support groups. I wouldn't be where I am today without them. Great find the 118ForBoston to. I might have to take up the challenge :)

Unknown said...

I love that Mike is looking up the closest pub :) I think Barwon Club will be the best option if he wants a pub close by. I'll be happy wherever there is a glass of wine or pint of cider :)