Crap,what's happened to me? I go do one run in the rain and I've turned into Rainy-Amazon-Woman !! I had a run planned for after work yesterday and mind you I hadn't been out of the office all day, just looked at the dismal weather through my window. I got into my running gear and one of the guys at work says "you're not running out there now are you?" I just looked and said "maybe ... or maybe I might go to the gym to the dreadmill". But as soon as I said dreadmill I knew it wasn't going to happen.
So I walked out of work and hmmph, yeah it was cold but I had my running jacket, I could do this. So I headed down to the waterfront and set off. Well I was half way up the first road and down it came, the wind struck up and the rain started. I kept on. There was a lass who was in front of me who I passed, but only for a moment as the rain turned to hail. OUCH! I sheltered under a tree as she headed across the road.
We looked at each other and I said "this is called developing mental toughness or sheer stupidity".
She looked helplessly at me and said "I'm opting for sheer stupidity".
Hail stopped and I headed on. Wind and intermittent showers continued. Let's just say it wasn't a good day for men with comb-overs!
So I walked out of work and hmmph, yeah it was cold but I had my running jacket, I could do this. So I headed down to the waterfront and set off. Well I was half way up the first road and down it came, the wind struck up and the rain started. I kept on. There was a lass who was in front of me who I passed, but only for a moment as the rain turned to hail. OUCH! I sheltered under a tree as she headed across the road.
We looked at each other and I said "this is called developing mental toughness or sheer stupidity".
She looked helplessly at me and said "I'm opting for sheer stupidity".
Hail stopped and I headed on. Wind and intermittent showers continued. Let's just say it wasn't a good day for men with comb-overs!
I rounded the Pavilion and there were sirens going at the Breakwater and on looking over, OMG, the waves were pounding over the top, and mind you that wall is probably 6 to 10 feet above the water level, maybe more. There was no going near the pier tonight.
But I finished my run, only 4.2km but ended on a hill and the rain started again mid-hill which did make me try to go faster, reaching the car with teeth chattering in the cold. As soon as I got home last night it was straight into the shower and then in flannel pj's ! Then all was right with the world and I had a certain smugness last night that was very enjoyable. Hard core weather running, it's like you've yelled out to the universe "come at me" and well, the universe listened! For once.


2 comments:
You are a hard core bad arse runner Carol!!! you rock!!!! See you Saturday :-)
It's a sign of true mental toughness to continue in that weather (or yes, maybe a touch sheer stupidity lol - but who says you can't have both). ;)
Love it. Well done, you!
Post a Comment