Well glad to say I've pulled up AOK! Surprisingly so.
Sunday night I was in agony after getting home, had a light dinner and I think I was in bed by about 7.30 or so. Woke up around 1am and my legs were screaming, I couldn't work out how to ease them. Ended up getting up as I was so restless, made a cup of tea and built a ramp on the end of the couch and tried sleeping on the couch with my legs up in the air and my nice tight boot socks pulled all the way up.
That was okay, until tinkle tinkle tinkle plop. The cat decided that my stomach might be a nice place to sleep and she came out and joined me. Then started doing the kneading thing that cats do right on my stomach. Sorry puss, back to the basket you go. I slept in fits and starts until tinkle tinkle tinkle about 3.30am woke up and Lucky had decided he wanted to join me and I had a little dog jump up and try to nestle between me and the back of the couch. I think about 5.30am I ended up back in bed again.
Monday I was okay, kept the boot socks on and pulled up nice and tight around my calves which seemed to be the only thing hurting, rubbed ice gel into them a number of times, and then by Tuesday wonder of wonders no aches, no pains. It was a miracle. I do think that massage straight after the run on my calves on Sunday did a lot to start the healing process on my muscles.
I had booked Monday and Tuesday off of work as I hadn't known how I'd pull up so it was just two days of rest and relax.
So no post race depression in this house, I have finalised the entries of my next three races.
11 May:
Mother's Day Classic at Geelong (8km)
This will be a nice day, I did this last year and mum and I had a great time, it was the first time mum had seen me run. We had a lovely morning all decked out in pink, then had a wonderful mother's day lunch at the Empire Grill in Geelong. A very special day to be repeated again this year. Mum doesn't walk much any more because of her hips, but she was happy to sit and soak in the atmosphere.
17 May:
Great Ocean Road at Apollo Bay (14km)
I have never done this event and in a moment of madness the other night hit enter! ha. A most beautiful part of the world down the Great Ocean Road, and I know there will be hills involved, I have looked at the elevation. The 14km is an out and back from Apollo Bay to Paradise and back.
8 June:
Run Forrest at Forrest in the Otways (10km trail run)
This is the second year this event is being run, I was so close to entering last year but for some reason I didn't. Although I do gravelly runs here at home, it's not really trail runs, so I have a bit of training to do over the next month ... Mt. Leura for training here I come!
So there's an event missing there. Sorry Matilda. I decided in my musing about upcoming runs to enter that I will give Run the Gap a miss this year. And my reasons are shallow, I will grant you that. Out of all the fun runs I have done over the last year and a half, I have never received a finisher's medal. Probably because a lot of the races I have done are smaller local events. I have so many runner friends who have a whole truck load of race day bling and I've not got a one (I'm not counting the convertible key ring I got at MDC last year cause it's a keyring essentially, it's not a medal). After the Geelong Half Marathon and running 21 freaking kilometres and coming away with an embroidered face washer and a bag of snake lollies and okay so it was really a very small sweat towel, but it may as well have been a face washer, my want/need/desire/ to get a finishers medal is at an all time high.
I was never good at sports in school, I have never been athletic in anything. I do not have any sports related trophies or memorabilia in any way shape or form. And whilst I may not be a great runner, I am a runner nonetheless. And I really reeeeeeeally want a finishers medal. So I know there's one on offer at the GOR race so that's what tipped me in doing that race over the Run the Gap, as much as I love the Run the Gap.
Shallow maybe? But eh, it is what it is, right. I wonder if organisers even realise there are lots of people like me out there and we would definitely pay more for an entry to races just to receive a finisher's medal.
Now I've dipped out of the next round of 12wbt. I want to go it alone again this next three months. I mainly used the last 12 weeks to train for the half, despite my eating not being what it should be. So the resolve is there now, to turn this next 3 months into a successful one.

3 comments:
You're reasons are valid.
You know what I don't care for my race medals.
There are ones I will keep, like my first half marathon and the 25th ani of the geelong half, but the others I'm not fussed about.
I thought about doing the Run Forrest one, but it's over my b'day weekend, and I've decided to do the Surf Coast (half) marathon instead.
So I better see you next year at RTG.
Btw next half marathon, if you are near a body of water, get your legs in the ice cold water. It will dramatically help with recovery.
Enjoy your up coming races.
Glad you've pulled up well!!
I didn't win any medals etc in school either, so completely understand you wanting to do an event where you have one to show for it!!! I have a 10km & a 21.1km one & they remind how far I've come :-)
And yes, as Matilda said, make like a footballer & walk in the ice cold water!!! I did consider it Monday, but after a nice hot sauna/spa I wasn't going near any cold water!!!!!
Bit of a post race high full of event entries there Carol. Awesome job with your half and here's cheers to the next one. Can't wait for your GOR report so wanna do that one one day.
Post a Comment