Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Back into it

Okay I've settled back down, no jetlag to speak of, and I'm back into it.  I'm not doing the current round of 12wbt, but I feel strong and in control, so we will see how I go.

Whilst I was away I was thrilled to fit some runs in - only four runs over the three weeks, and all between 4-5 kilometres each, but the thought I was on holidays and I was happy to run is a great thing.  I would shout out "good morning" to anyone who passed me by, with a smile on my face.

I ran in - San Diego, Clearwater, Savannah and Houston.  And I'll save those maps from my runkeeper to put in my holiday album.  Fun fun.

And one of the VERY PLEASANT surprises of being away, is that I have come back weighing 700 grams less.  Yay me.

Whilst away I did take care with what I was eating and indulged in some beautiful and very yummy salads.   Although one of my salads, including candied pecans in a salad was a wee bit much!  Having said that I did want to try the food of the deep south and so did on one very special night at a lovely restaurant tried fried chicken, mashed potato, collard greens and grits, with a side of fried green tomatoes.  It was just one of those moments in time I wanted to experience.  And it was delicious.  Probably because we ate this at a very nice ritzy chi chi pooh pooh restaurant, rather than a diner somewhere.

So whilst also indulging during this holiday, we walked A LOT.  Always on the go somewhere, you don't realise how many kilometres you are clocking up.  And drank a lot of water too.  There's a section in my camera bag on the outside to hold a water bottle so I was always taking a swig, so probably easily drink 1-2 litres each day whilst on the go.  Plus the weather (despite them heading into winter) was warm where I was travelling, and at times in Florida downright hot, so that assisted with the water drinking.

I have always said that travel is not just about the sights and sounds and people, it's also about the eating experiences, and I did experience what I wanted to and ate wonderful food but did it wisely, and weighing myself that next morning after getting home, not knowing what to expect, it was a really pleasant surprise.

So even though now I'm not doing 12wbt this round, I will still be accountable and weigh in every Wednesday morning.  I have our local 12wbt facebook group to keep me honest.

Plus yesterday I have entered into the Surf T Surf at Warrnambool run to be held at the start of January.  Earlier this year it was my first serious fun run and I ran/walked the 6km, completely in awe of those people wearing the red bib running the 10km.  Next year I'll be one of those people.  It's a hard course because it's hilly, so there are a lot of hill training days in my near future.

2 comments:

Pink Penny said...

Good to read up on what you've been doing Carol. I've enjoyed seeing your photos on facebook. We're already into week 3 of this current round. Time's a flying and it'll be Christmas soon...

Annie192 said...

Glad you're back!
The travel blog was great by the way. xox